This recipe for spaghetti with chili shrimp, salami and gremolata breadcrumbs will transport your taste buds to Italy with its flavorful combination. Start by sautéing red chilies and garlic and adding a touch of fennel seeds and tomatoes to create a delicious pasta sauce base.
The star of the dish is the juicy chili prawns, which add a tantalizing touch to the dish. The hearty salami also provides a rich depth of flavor.
To top off this delicious creation, sprinkle some crunchy parsley breadcrumbs on top, adding an irresistible texture to every bite. Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also quick and easy to prepare, making it the perfect choice for any weeknight dinner. Bon appetit!
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 thumb-sized red chili peppers, sliced and most seeds removed
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 slices of fennel salami, chopped
- 140g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 400g spaghetti or bucatini pasta
- 300 g large raw shrimp, without shell
- 2 slices of crusty bread, crushed into crumbs
- large handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Zest 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the chilies and most of the garlic (reserve 1 teaspoon for the breadcrumbs) and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add fennel seeds and salami and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and a pinch of salt and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a baking tray, pour over the remaining oil, season and bake for 7 minutes.
- Mix the remaining garlic through the crumbs and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Remove and add parsley and lemon peel.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package instructions for about 9 minutes.
- Heat the sauce and just before the pasta is ready, stir in the shrimp to cook through.
- Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce, then sprinkle with the crumbs.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- frying pan
- Food processor or blender
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- grater (for lemon peel)
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from pasta and bread)
- Crustaceans (from shrimp)
If you or anyone consuming this dish suffers from allergies or dietary restrictions, please exercise caution.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should be used within 2 days.
- To reheat, gently heat the pasta in a pot with a splash of olive oil or a little water.
- Do not freeze leftovers.
Health Benefits of Spaghetti with Chili Shrimp, Salami and Gremolata Breadcrumbs
As you enjoy a delicious plate of spaghetti with chili shrimp, salami, and gremolata breadcrumbs, you may not realize that this dish offers several health benefits in addition to its incredible taste. From using olive oil to using shrimp and fresh ingredients, here’s a closer look at the nutritional benefits of this recipe.
1. Extra virgin olive oil
The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, known for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats are believed to help reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol and have anti-inflammatory properties. Olive oil is also rich in antioxidants, which can protect the body from free radicals that cause oxidative stress.
2. Red chilies and garlic
The two thumb-sized red chili peppers and garlic cloves not only add a delicious touch to the dish but also provide various health benefits. Chili peppers contain a compound called capsaicin, which is known to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. Garlic, on the other hand, is rich in vitamins C and B6 and has been linked to potential cardiovascular benefits.
3. Fennel seeds and fennel salami
The inclusion of fennel seeds and fennel salami in this recipe gives this recipe a unique flavor profile. Fennel seeds are a good source of fiber, vitamin C and minerals such as calcium and iron. They are also known for their potential digestive and antioxidant properties. Even when consumed in smaller quantities, fennel salami can provide a good portion of protein.
4. Cherry tomatoes and flat-leaf parsley
The recipe contains cherry tomatoes, which are rich in vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants like lycopene, which may help protect against certain types of cancer. Flat-leaf parsley, another commonly used ingredient, is a good source of vitamin K and contains fiber, iron and calcium.
The star of this dish, the large raw shrimp, brings several nutritional benefits. Shrimp are low in saturated fat and are an excellent source of high-quality protein. They also contain vitamins B12, E and D, as well as minerals like zinc and selenium, which are essential for immune function and overall health.
6. Lemon peel
The recipe suggests adding the zest of a lemon, which provides a refreshing citrus flavor. Lemon peel contains essential oils rich in antioxidants, including limonene, which has shown potential for various therapeutic uses such as anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
So next time you make spaghetti with chili shrimp, salami and gremolata breadcrumbs, remember that it is not only a delicious culinary experience but also offers a number of health benefits. From promoting heart health to reducing inflammation to providing essential vitamins and minerals, this dish allows you to enjoy a delicious meal while nourishing your body.