Get ready to transform your Christmas cake into a whimsical winter wonderland with our adorable Snowman Friends cake decorating recipe. Even though it takes a little more time and effort, the end result will definitely be worth it, especially for the little ones. Imagine their faces lighting up as they look out on a sweet snow scene with adorable snowman friends. With the perfect icing techniques and creative decorations, you will create a masterpiece that will make your Christmas party even more magical. Let your creativity run wild and delight everyone’s hearts with this adorable cake decoration.
- 85g apricot jam
- 100g sifted powdered sugar, plus a little sugar for dusting
- 750g marzipan
- 2kg ready to roll royal icing
- blue, brown, orange and green food coloring
- 85g desiccated coconut
- a few whole cloves
- 3 strawberry shoelaces
- Melt the apricot jam, then sift it and spread a little onto a 23cm cake (see recipe for apricot almond fruit cake to the right of this recipe).
- On a clean work surface lightly dusted with a little sifted powdered sugar, roll out the marzipan into a circle large enough to cover the cake. Use a piece of kitchen twine to check.
- Lift the marzipan by hanging it over your rolling pin, then drape it over the cake.
- Gently pat the marzipan on the sides of the cake and smooth it out. Then cut off any excess marzipan from the base.
- Color the royal icing with a little blue food coloring and then cover the marzipan in the same way as you covered the cake. First spread the marzipan with more apricot jam.
- Cut off the base.
- Using your hands, roll two-thirds of the remaining royal icing on a surface dusted with powdered sugar into a long, thin sausage.
- It should be long enough to go around the cake – use a piece of kitchen twine to measure.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the sausage into a strip about 5 cm wide.
- Using a small, sharp knife, straighten one edge and trim the other into a wavy edge.
- Keep all the ingredients and mash half of them into two wobbly circles for the snowmen to sit on.
- Brush the strip, circles and bottom edge of the cake with a little liquid icing made from 100g sifted icing sugar and a splash of water.
- Sprinkle the dried coconut over the strips and circles, pressing lightly to adhere and cover.
- Start with one end of the strip and tape it around the base of the cake.
- This can be a bit complicated. So if you’re nervous, just halve the frosting from the start and divide it into two half-length strips, using a little more coconut to hide the joins on the cake.
- Roll remaining third of royal icing into 2 large balls, 2 medium balls, and 2 small balls.
- Form two snowmen by gently squeezing them together.
- Coat 4 cocktail sticks with some brown food coloring and insert them into the snowmen as arms.
- Stick a few whole carnations into a snowman as buttons.
- Using a little orange food coloring, color some of the leftover strips and shape some around the pointed end of two cloves to look like carrot noses.
- Using another clove, make small holes for the noses to fit into, dab some liquid icing into the holes, glue the noses on and press them into the holes to hold them in place.
- Use a black or brown icing pen to draw on smiley face mouths and eyes – I find it helpful to first mark small holes with the tip of a cocktail pick.
- It prevents mistakes and ensures the glaze stays in place.
- Color another clump of royal icing scraps with food coloring (we used green).
- Form the majority into a wool hat and press a slight indentation into the bottom with your thumb so it sits on the snowman’s head.
- Roll a small ball and glue it to the top of the hat. Secure with more liquid icing.
- Then roll and cut a thin strip to glue around the base of the hat.
- Using a cocktail skewer, make marks like you would on a wool hat and roughen the top of the ball.
- A little more runny icing will help it stick better to your snowman’s head.
- Tie the strawberry strings together at one end.
- Braid a 10 cm long piece tightly and knot it again at the end.
- Cut the ends with scissors, leaving about 1 cm of space for the tassels after knotting, then wrap them around the other snowman’s neck.
- Place the wobbly snow islands on the cake and a snowman on top of each.
Equipment and tools
To make the Snowman Friends cake decoration, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Powdered sugar sieve
- rolling pin
- Palette knife
- Brush for food coloring
- Cloth/paper towel
- Table knife
The Snowman Friends cake decorating recipe may contain allergenic ingredients. Please note the following allergen information:
- Apricot jam may contain traces of nuts.
- Marzipan contains almonds.
Storage and leftovers
After decorating, store the Snowman Friends Cake in an airtight container at room temperature. It is best consumed within 2-3 days.
If you have leftovers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Leftover cake should be consumed within 2-3 days.
Health Benefits of “Snowman Friends Cake Decoration”
The adorable Snowman Friends Cake Topper not only adds a festive touch to your holiday treats but also offers some health benefits. Made from a combination of natural ingredients, this cake topper can be a playful and nutritious addition to your baked goods. Let’s explore some of the health benefits associated with the ingredients used in making this adorable snowman design.
Apricot jam serves as a sweet and spicy filling for your cake decoration. Apricots are rich in vitamins A and C, which are known for their antioxidant properties. These vitamins help strengthen the immune system, promote healthy skin, and protect the body from various diseases. In addition, apricots are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and supports intestinal health.
The sifted powdered sugar used in the snowman decoration gives the cake a smooth and sugary consistency. Although powdered sugar is high in calories, it adds a touch of sweetness to baked goods without containing fat or cholesterol. However, it is important to consume it in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Marzipan, made primarily from ground almonds, gives the snowman decoration a unique flavor and texture. Almonds are packed with healthy fats, fiber, proteins and various essential nutrients. These nutrients contribute to heart health, can help maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and can even help with weight control when consumed in moderation.
The ready-to-roll royal icing forms the base layer for your snowman friends. Regal Icing, also known as Royal Icing, is made from egg whites and powdered sugar. Compared to buttercream icing, the fat content is lower. The absence of butter or margarine makes royal icing a good choice for people concerned about their fat intake.
The blue, brown, orange and green food colors used for the glowing snowman figures add visual appeal to the cake. While food coloring does not provide any nutritional value, using natural or plant-based food coloring can provide a healthier alternative to artificial additives.
The coconut shavings sprinkled on the snowman decoration create a snowy look and a tropical taste. Coconut is rich in healthy fats, fiber and minerals like manganese and copper. It can support heart health, improve digestion and provide a quick boost of energy.
Whole carnations are often used as the snowman’s eyes and buttons. These small dry flower buds not only add flavor but also offer potential health benefits. Cloves are known for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. In small amounts, they can aid digestion, promote oral health and provide relief from common ailments such as colds and headaches.
Finally, the strawberry tips serve as colorful scarves for the snowman friends. In addition to being delicious, strawberries are a great source of vitamin C and other antioxidants. They are known to have anti-cancer properties, support cardiovascular health, help maintain healthy blood pressure, and promote brain health.
Overall, “Snowman Friends Cake Decoration” contains several ingredients that can provide some health benefits in addition to their delicious taste. However, as with any indulgence, moderation is the key to enjoying these benefits while maintaining a balanced diet. Unleash your creativity and enjoy this festive cake decoration with your loved ones!