Gather around the campfire and serve this tempting smoked sausage and black bean chili. With its rich flavors and hearty ingredients, this one-pot meal is perfect for a cozy get-together. The combination of tender sausage and hearty black beans makes a hearty and filling meal. For a delicious crunch, serve with tortilla chips so you can enjoy the delicious smoky beans and sausage. Alternatively, enjoy this spicy chili with a baked potato or serve with rice for a more filling option.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 sausages of your choice
- 1 large onion (red or white), finely chopped
- 2 peppers (red, orange or yellow or a mix), sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tbsp chipotle paste (optional)
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 400g canned black beans, drained
- Handful of coriander, leaves picked, for serving (optional)
- To serve, grated cheddar, natural yogurt or sour cream and tortilla chips, jacket potatoes or rice
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet and fry the sausages over medium heat for 12-15 minutes until browned all over and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the onions and peppers over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the garlic, all the spices, and chipotle paste (if using) and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, a can of water, the ketchup and some spices. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, partially covered with a lid or loosely covered with foil. Stir occasionally and top up with water if the mixture looks too thick.
- Cut the boiled sausages into thick slices and return them to the pan, then add the beans. Let cook for a few more minutes until everything is heated through.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with coriander leaves, a little grated cheese if necessary and a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream.
- Serve with tortilla chips for cutting, as a filling for jacket potatoes or over rice.
Equipment and tools
To make this smoky black bean sausage and chili, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A big pot
- A frying pan
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A wooden spoon or spatula
- A can opener
- A measuring spoon
- Optional: a chipotle paste brush for spreading (if using)
This Smoky Sausage and Black Bean Chili contains the following allergens:
- Sausages: May contain various allergens such as gluten, soy or dairy products. Please check packaging for specific allergen information.
- Vegetable oil: No major allergens.
- Onion: No major allergens.
- Paprika: No major allergens.
- Garlic: No major allergens.
- Smoked Paprika: No major allergens.
- Ground Coriander: No major allergens.
- Ground cumin: No major allergens.
- Chipotle paste (optional): May contain various allergens. Please check packaging for specific allergen information.
- Chopped Tomatoes: No major allergens.
- Ketchup: May contain allergens such as gluten or soy. Please check packaging for specific allergen information.
- Black Beans: May contain allergens such as soy. Please check packaging for specific allergen information.
- Coriander: No major allergens.
- Grated Cheddar: May contain dairy products.
- Natural yogurt or sour cream: May contain dairy products.
- Tortilla chips, jacket potatoes or rice: May contain allergens. Please check packaging for specific allergen information.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Smoky Black Bean Chili Sausage, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. To reheat, simply heat in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through. Alternatively, you can freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. To freeze, portion the chili into individual freezer-safe containers or bags, making sure to leave some room for expansion. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
The Health Benefits of Smoked Sausage and Black Bean Chili
When it comes to comforting, hearty meals, few dishes beat a delicious plate of chili. The combination of smoky sausage and black beans in this recipe not only provides a truly satisfying taste, but also offers numerous health benefits that make it worth adding to your regular meal rotation.
1. Rich in protein
The sausage and black beans in this dish are both great sources of protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays a critical role in building and repairing tissue, supporting immune function, and producing enzymes and hormones.
2. Rich in fiber
This chili recipe features black beans, which are full of fiber. Fiber is important for maintaining a healthy digestive system, preventing constipation, and regulating blood sugar levels. It also helps promote feelings of satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
3. Powerful antioxidants
The blend of spices used in this recipe such as smoked paprika, ground coriander and ground cumin are not only responsible for the delicious taste but also provide a wealth of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from harmful free radicals and contribute to overall health and well-being.
4. Vitamins and minerals
Onions, peppers, garlic and tomatoes are essential ingredients in this chili recipe and provide a range of vitamins and minerals. These include vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and folic acid, which are needed for optimal health and a strong immune system.
5. Versatile serving options
To make this meal even more nutritious, consider serving it with a variety of healthy options. Grated cheddar cheese provides calcium and additional protein, while plain yogurt or sour cream can add probiotics for gut health. Combine the chili with tortilla chips, jacket potatoes or rice for a balanced meal that contains carbohydrates for lasting energy.
Whether you’re looking for a comforting dinner or a meal packed with health benefits, this Smoky Sausage Black Bean Chili won’t disappoint. Its combination of proteins, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals make it a nutritious choice that is both delicious and filling.