Introducing our delicious Smoky Maple Duck Salad recipe with a tempting twist. This dish offers a true explosion of flavor, with the smoky aroma of maple perfectly complementing the juicy duck. The addition of a fiery chili paste provides a delicious kick and ensures a harmonious mix of spiciness and sweetness.
If you prefer an alternative, you can easily replace the chili paste with a dash of harissa without compromising on taste. This versatile recipe guarantees a convincing dish that will satisfy even the most demanding palates. Experience the remarkable combination of ingredients that will leave you wanting more!
- 2 duck breasts, skin on and sliced
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili paste (we like Discovery. Adjust to taste if using a different brand)
- 160g bag of bistro salad
- Bunch of radishes, about 200g, thinly sliced or grated
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
Chili paste can vary greatly in spiciness,
from insanely fresh, spicy Thai pastes to smoky pastes
from Mexico. Generally if your paste comes from
Use it sparingly in Asia as it takes up quite a bit
hit. If it’s from South America, you should be
able to add even more. Always check the jar label
– from this you can determine the amount of heat
how much you should use in the recipe.Tip
It is easier to roast the duck with the skin side down
and less smoky to your cooking than frying;
Just make sure the roasting pan is real
hot before adding the duck. The chili paste
in this recipe can easily be substituted
Harissa, the spicy North African spice paste.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Place a small roasting pan in the oven and let it heat up for a few minutes.
- Season the duck skin and meat well.
- Place the seasoned duck, skin side down, in the dish.
- Roast for 10 minutes until the skin is golden brown and crispy and the fat has rendered.
- Let rest for 15 minutes if you like your duck well done.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of maple syrup with the garlic-chilli paste.
- Tip the fat out of the pan.
- Turn the duck skin side up and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Baste once or twice with the maple mixture until sticky and translucent.
- The duck should be pink in the middle.
- Remove and let the duck rest for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the lettuce and radishes on two serving plates.
- Cut the duck diagonally and place it in the salad.
- Stir the remaining maple syrup and sherry vinegar into the gravy.
- Drizzle the mixture over the salad.
- Season the salad.
- Serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
To make this Smoky Maple Duck Salad you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- measuring spoon
- salad bowl
This Smoky Maple Duck Salad recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Smoky Maple Duck Salad, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Please note, however, that the salad may lose some of its freshness and consistency after refrigeration. When ready to eat, you can enjoy the leftovers cold or reheat them slightly in the microwave or oven.
The Health Benefits of Smoky Maple Duck Salad
The Smoky Maple Duck Salad is not only a delicious and flavorful dish but also offers several health benefits. From the lean and protein-rich duck meat to the nutritious vegetables and spices, this salad is a nutritious addition to your diet.
1. Lean protein
The main ingredient in this salad is duck breasts, which are a great source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscles, supporting a healthy immune system, and maintaining good overall health. Duck meat is a lean and tasty alternative to other meats.
2. Maple syrup
Using maple syrup in this recipe adds a touch of sweetness and depth of flavor. Maple syrup is a natural sweetener that contains important minerals such as manganese and zinc. It also offers antioxidant properties that can help fight inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
The garlic clove used in this recipe not only adds delicious flavor but also offers potential health benefits. Garlic is known for its immune-boosting properties and can help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It also contains antioxidants that can protect against various diseases.
4. Chipotle chili paste
The chipotle chili paste used in the Smoky Maple Duck Salad provides a smoky and spicy flavor. Depending on its origin, chili paste can provide various health benefits. It can help boost metabolism, reduce pain and inflammation, promote cardiovascular health, and improve digestion.
5. Bistro salad and radish
The bistro lettuce and radish used in this dish are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and fiber. This vegetable can contribute to better digestion, improved heart health, and improved weight management. They also give the salad freshness and crunch, making it more enjoyable to eat.
6. Sherry vinegar
Using sherry vinegar in this recipe provides a tangy and slightly sweet flavor. Vinegar, including sherry vinegar, has been linked to several health benefits. It can help regulate blood sugar levels, improve digestion and promote healthy weight loss.
Overall, the combination of these ingredients in the Smoky Maple Duck Salad offers a range of flavors and textures as well as numerous health benefits. Incorporating this salad into your diet can be a delicious way to boost your overall well-being.