Treat yourself to the delicious pleasure of our “Smoked Beans with Basil and Bacon” recipe, but remember that it contains pork and is therefore intended exclusively for non-Muslims. In just 10 minutes you can make a super healthy twist on the classic beans on toast. Not only will this dish satisfy your cravings, it is also full of fiber to nourish you.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 slices smoked bacon
- 420g can of cannellini beans
- 2 large tomatoes, preferably vine ripe
- About 6 large fresh basil leaves
- a few drops of Tabasco sauce, optional
Make it vegetarian
Instead of bacon, simply grate over the cheese.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan.
- Quickly cut the onion into fairly small pieces.
- Add the onion to the pan and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Let the onion cook over high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the bacon in half lengthwise with scissors.
- Either cook the bacon between 2 sheets of paper towels in the microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes or in a frying pan until the fat is golden brown and crispy.
- Open the beans and drain them.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan.
- Stir well and cook for a few more minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Chop up the basil and add it to the pan.
- Add salt and a generous grind of black pepper to the pan.
- For extra spiciness, you can add a few drops of Tabasco sauce.
- Divide the mixture between plates.
- Top each plate with the cooked bacon.
- Serve with lightly toasted bread on the side.
Equipment and tools
- Medium frying pan
- cutting board
- Sharp knife
- tin opener
- Contains: Bacon
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat the beans in a skillet or microwave until warmed through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Smoky Beans with Basil and Bacon
Smoky Beans with Basil and Bacon is a delicious dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this recipe provides a well-rounded meal that is both filling and nourishing for your body. Here are some of the health benefits associated with this delicious dish:
1. Rich in protein
The combination of cannellini beans and bacon in this recipe provides a good amount of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that plays a critical role in building and repairing tissue, promoting muscle growth, and supporting a healthy immune system. Eating protein-rich foods can help you feel fuller for longer and maintain a healthy weight.
2. Rich in fiber
Cannellini beans, the main ingredient in this recipe, are an excellent source of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, control weight, and reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Rich in vitamins and minerals
This recipe contains several nutritious ingredients that contribute to its vitamin and mineral content. Tomatoes, an important ingredient, are rich in vitamin C, potassium and antioxidants, which support a healthy immune system and protect against cell damage caused by harmful free radicals. Basil leaves contain vitamins A and K as well as iron and calcium.
4. Source of healthy fats
The olive oil used in this recipe provides the dish with healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats are known to promote heart health by lowering bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol. In addition, they have anti-inflammatory properties and can contribute to overall well-being.
5. Adaptable for vegetarians
If you prefer a vegetarian option, this recipe offers an easy variation. Simply grate cheese over the dish instead of using bacon. This way, you can enjoy the rich flavor and nutritional benefits without the addition of meat products.