Treat yourself to the irresistible deliciousness of smoked trout fish pies, prepared in no time with this super quick recipe. This comforting dish will satisfy your cravings with its delicious taste and creamy texture. This recipe is so simple and straightforward that you can enjoy a delicious fish pie without having to spend hours in the kitchen. With the smoky and savory deliciousness of trout encased in a comforting pie crust, these pies offer a truly divine culinary experience. Treat yourself and your loved ones to this quick and easy recipe that doesn’t compromise on taste!
- 1½ tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 350 ml whole milk
- 1-2 tbsp creamed horseradish (optional)
- small bunch of dill, chopped
- 1 large bunch of spring onions, chopped
- Zest 1 lemon
- 2 x 175g packs of smoked trout fillets, skinless and boneless, cut into large pieces
- 450g leftover mashed potatoes
Do it differently
Swap the trout for hot smoked salmon or a mix of shrimp with some leftover sliced smoked salmon.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk and, if using, horseradish.
- Let the sauce bubble for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the dill, three quarters of the onions, the lemon peel, the fish and some spices to the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into 4 individual cake pans or 1 large cake pan.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the remaining spring onion.
- Pour the mashed potato mixture over the fish mixture in the cake pan(s).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Medium sized pot
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- cheese grater
- mixing bowl
- Oven-safe dishes
Please note the following allergen information:
- This recipe contains fish and dairy products.
- If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please check the ingredient list and make any substitutions or omissions if necessary.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to store the smoked trout fish patties, follow these guidelines:
- Allow cakes to cool completely before storing.
- Place leftover cake in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the cakes on a baking sheet and heat for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Health benefits of smoked trout fish pies
Smoked trout fish patties are not only a delicious and indulgent treat but also have several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, these cakes provide a range of essential nutrients that can support your overall wellbeing. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits associated with the ingredients in smoked trout fish pies:
1. Smoked Trout:
Trout is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on heart health. Omega-3 fatty acids are associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and may help lower blood pressure and triglyceride levels. Additionally, smoked trout is a good source of selenium, a mineral that plays a crucial role in immune function and antioxidant activity.
Dill not only gives the fish pies a special taste, but also has numerous health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Dill also contains compounds with antimicrobial properties that may help fight certain pathogens. Additionally, it is a good source of vitamins A and C, which play an important role in immune function and support healthy skin.
3. Spring Onions:
Spring onions, also known as scallions, are not only delicious but also provide several health benefits. They contain antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Green onions are also a good source of vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and bone health. In addition, they provide folic acid, a B vitamin that supports cell growth and development.
4. Lemon Peel:
The zest of a lemon adds a refreshing touch to the fish pies and brings its own health benefits. Lemon peel is rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage, supports the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin. It also contains certain plant compounds that have anti-cancer properties and may promote liver health.
5. Mashed Potatoes:
Mashed potatoes serve as the perfect base for the fish pies and offer nutritional benefits of their own. Potatoes are a good source of several important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. They also provide fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain regular bowel movements. However, it is important to note that since potatoes are high in carbohydrates, moderation is key.
Overall, smoked trout fish patties offer a delicious way to enjoy a range of health benefits. From the protein-rich smoked trout to the antioxidant-rich dill and lemon zest, these cakes offer a winning combination of flavor and nutrition. So treat yourself to this tasty dish, knowing that it will not only satisfy your taste buds but also contribute to your overall well-being.