Treat yourself to the heavenly flavors of our “Smoked Fish and Cherry Tomato Rarebit” recipe! Whether it’s cod, haddock or another white-fleshed fish, this delicious dish will tantalize your taste buds. Perfect for a family gathering or a casual dinner, it’s a versatile recipe that’s sure to impress everyone at the table.
The combination of smoky fish and juicy cherry tomatoes creates a harmonious taste contrast. Topped with a delicious rarebit sauce takes this dish to a whole new level of deliciousness. You won’t be able to resist savoring every bite!
So gather your loved ones and embark on a culinary adventure with our divine smoked fish and cherry tomato rarity. It’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser that will leave everyone wanting more!
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 600 ml milk
- 100 g strong cheddar, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 550 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 900g fresh spinach, untrimmed, or 700g/1lb 9oz prepared, washed if necessary
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 550 g undyed, smoked haddock or cod fillets, skinned and checked for bones
- 50 g Cheddar, coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to fan 170°C/fan 190°C/gas 5.
- To make the rarebit sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir in flour and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 1 minute while stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat and slowly stir in the milk until well combined.
- Return to the heat and slowly bring to a boil, stirring or whisking constantly.
- Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the grated cheese and mustard.
- Season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Melt a third of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add the garlic and cook until just colored.
- Immediately add the tomatoes and toss them with the garlic butter, cooking just until heated through.
- Pour the mixture into the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Melt half of the remaining butter in the pan and add some spinach.
- Cook over high heat until wilted, then place in a colander.
- Repeat with remaining butter and spinach.
- Squeeze the spinach to drain any excess liquid.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Arrange the spinach so that it covers the tomato layer.
- Cover with the fish fillets.
- Heat the rarebit sauce and spoon evenly over the fish.
- Spread the sauce with the back of a spoon so that the fish is completely covered.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the fish is brown and bubbling and the fish is cooked through.
- Check by piercing the fish with a knife – the flesh should come off easily.
- You may want to cook the rare item under the grill to brown the surface even more.
- Serve straight from the bowl.
Equipment and tools
- baking pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, milk, cheddar)
- Gluten (flour, Worcestershire sauce)
Storage and leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 3 days.
Health Benefits of Smoked Fish and Cherry Tomato Rarebit
Smoked fish and cherry tomato rarbit is not only a delicious and enjoyable dish but also offers a number of health benefits. From providing essential nutrients to promoting heart health, here are some reasons why you should include this dish in your diet:
1. Rich in protein
Both smoked haddock or cod fillets and cheddar cheese used in this recipe are excellent sources of protein. Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays an important role in building and repairing body tissues, promoting healthy hair, skin and nails, and supporting a strong immune system.
2. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Smoked haddock or cod fillets are known for their high content of omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats have been found to reduce inflammation, support brain health, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and arthritis.
3. Packed with vitamins and minerals
Cherry tomatoes are full of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium and antioxidants. These nutrients can help boost your immune system, support healthy vision, and maintain proper blood pressure.
4. Nutrient-rich spinach
Fresh spinach is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in vitamins A, C, and K, as well as minerals like iron and calcium. It is also a great source of fiber and antioxidants, which contribute to overall health and may help protect against certain diseases.
5. The Health Benefits of Garlic
The crushed garlic clove used in this recipe not only adds flavor but also provides various health benefits. Garlic is known to have antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties and may help lower cholesterol and blood pressure.
6. Calcium for strong bones
The addition of cheddar cheese provides a good amount of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Calcium also plays a role in muscle function and nerve transmission.
By incorporating this rare piece of smoked fish and cherry tomatoes into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious meal while benefiting from the numerous health benefits of its ingredients.