Are you looking for a fun and delicious activity for your children? Look no further! With our Little Deli Tartlets recipe, your little ones can let their creativity run wild in the kitchen. Take them to the local deli where they can choose their favorite toppings, then watch as they turn those treats into delicious tarts. Regardless of whether it’s a savory or sweet topping, these little treats are sure to be a hit with the whole family. So gather your little chefs together and get ready to have fun baking and enjoying these delicious tarts together!
- 375g package of ready-rolled puff pastry
- sun-dried tomato paste
- Choice of toppings such as cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, artichokes and/or grilled peppers in olive oil, parmesan shavings, mozzarella, thin slices of red onion, fresh herbs such as basil, dill and cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Cut the dough into simple shapes using dough or cookie cutters.
- Place the dough shapes on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Lightly score around each shape, leaving a 1cm border.
- Spread a little dried tomato paste down the center of each pastry shape up to the scored edge.
- If necessary, cut the topping into small pieces.
- Spread the topping on the tomato dough.
- Cover the tarts and chill for up to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Bake the tarts for 10-15 minutes until the dough is golden brown.
- Transfer the tarts to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the tartlets generously with chopped fresh herbs.
- Eat the tarts while they are still hot.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- parchment paper
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- cutting board
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- This recipe contains dairy products (goat cheese, mozzarella and parmesan).
- It may also contain gluten since puff pastry is made from wheat.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the tarts in the preheated oven at 180°C for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Little Deli Tarts
Not only are Little Deli tarts delicious and easy to prepare, they also have several health benefits. By using healthy and fresh ingredients, these tarts can be a nutritious addition to your meal. Let’s explore the health benefits of some key components:
The pre-rolled puff pastry used in these tarts provides a delicious puffiness and texture. While pastries are often associated with indulgence, consuming pastries in moderation can contribute to a balanced diet. It provides a source of carbohydrates for energy and can be a source of small amounts of essential nutrients such as iron and B vitamins.
Dried tomato paste
One of the main ingredients in these tarts is sun-dried tomato paste. Dried tomatoes are not only rich in flavor but also rich in nutrients. They contain high levels of antioxidants such as lycopene, which have been linked to a lower risk of certain diseases, including heart disease and certain types of cancer.
Choice of toppings
The toppings for the small delicatessen tarts offer a variety of health benefits. Here are some examples:
- Cherry Tomatoes: These little sweet treats are not only delicious, but also provide a good amount of vitamins A and C as well as antioxidants.
- Goat Cheese: Although it should be consumed in moderation due to its fat content, goat cheese is a good source of protein and calcium.
- Artichokes: Artichokes are known for their high fiber content, but they also contain many antioxidants and can aid digestion.
- Grilled peppers in olive oil: Peppers are a colorful addition to the tarts and provide vitamins A and C as well as fiber. Using olive oil adds healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Parmesan shavings: Although Parmesan cheese should be used sparingly due to its high sodium content, it adds flavor and is a good source of calcium and protein.
- Mozzarella: This classic cheese topping is a source of calcium and protein. If you choose low-fat mozzarella, you can reduce the calorie and fat content.
- Thin slices of red onion: In addition to adding a pop of color, red onions also provide antioxidants and have been linked to potential cardiovascular benefits.
- Fresh Herbs: Basil, dill, and cilantro not only enhance the flavor of the tarts, but also provide various vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that contribute to overall health.
By combining these nutritious toppings with the flavorful paste made from dried tomatoes and puff pastry, the small delicatessen tarts become a complete treat that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.