Ready to take your Halloween treat to the next level of spooky? Introducing our Slime Bug Cups recipe, a creepy-crawly treat that will delight both children and adults. As you dig through the layer of chocolate chip cookie dirt, you’ll discover an assortment of spooky candies, spiders, snakes and worms that will send shivers down your spine. But the real surprise lies beneath this incredibly delicious mass – a slippery, slimy layer of lime jelly that oozes and jiggles with every bite. Get ready for the ultimate Halloween sensory experience. Dive into our “Slime Bug Cups” now!
- 4 x 135g packs of lime jelly
- a selection of animal and bug sweets (see tips below for our selection)
- 2 x 154g packs of Oreo cookies
Ant sprinkles: Cake Angels Sugar Ants, available from cake-angels.co.uk. Frogs: Haribo Gummix, available at Poundland. Haribo Super Mix from Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.
Mushrooms: Available at most candy stores or pick and mix stands. Plastic spider cake toppers: From cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk.
snails: Haribo Gummix, available at Poundland.
Snakes: The Natural Confectionery Co Jelly Snakes, available at Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose. Worms: The Natural Confectionery Co Jelly Squirms, available at Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.
Which is suitable for cups
Save leftover plastic pots of hummus and dips to use for your bug cups.
Here is the article section written using HTML list items:
- Prepare the jelly according to package instructions.
- Pour a third of the mixture into 12 small glasses or plastic pots.
- Place a few beetles in each pot and allow to solidify in the refrigerator, leaving the remaining jelly at room temperature.
- Once solid, add more beetles to each container (leaning some against the edges so they stick out the top).
- Pour a third of the jelly over it and let it solidify in the fridge.
- Repeat the process with the remaining beetles and jelly.
- To make the base, place the cookies in a plastic bag, crush them into crumbs with a rolling pin, then turn them out onto a plate.
- Just before serving, sprinkle a layer of soil over each prepared jelly and then top with a mushroom, a snail and some ants or creepy crawlies of your choice.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- measuring cup
- Plastic pots (e.g. leftover humus containers)
Please note the following allergen information:
- Oreo cookies contain wheat and soy.
- Some insect candies may contain gelatin, which comes from animal sources.
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and handling leftovers:
- Cover any leftover slime bug cups tightly with plastic wrap and store them in the refrigerator. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Before eating leftovers, be sure to check for signs of spoilage or mold. Discard if necessary.
Health Benefits of “Slime Bug Cups”
These “slime bug cups” may sound scary and fun, but they also offer some surprising health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and discover how they contribute to your overall well-being.
The main ingredient in these beetle cups is lime jelly. Lime is a citrus fruit rich in vitamin C, which plays a crucial role in boosting the immune system. It helps fight colds, flu and other infections. In addition, vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and protects your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Oreo cookies are used as the base for the beetle cups. While they are delicious, they also have some nutritional benefits. Oreo cookies contain iron, which is essential for transporting oxygen throughout the body. Iron helps prevent iron deficiency anemia, a condition characterized by weakness, fatigue, and inability to concentrate.
Animal and bug candy
The bug cups are decorated with a selection of animal and bug sweets. Although these candies are primarily for fun and aesthetic appeal, they can add a touch of joy and excitement to your day, which can have a positive impact on your mental well-being. Taking time to enjoy life’s little pleasures can have a significant impact on your overall happiness.
In addition, these insect candies can serve as a reminder of the importance of moderation and balance in our diet. While it’s fun to treat yourself every now and then, it’s important for long-term health to prioritize a balanced, nutritious diet.
Recommended sweets for decoration
If you’re wondering what candy to use for your bug cups, here are some suggestions:
- Ant Sprinkles: Cake Angels Sugar Ants
- Frogs: Haribo Gummix or Haribo Super Mix
- Mushrooms: Available at most candy stores or pick-and-mix stands
- Plastic Spider Cake Toppers: From cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk
- Snails: Haribo Gummix
- Snakes: The Natural Confectionery Co Jelly Snakes
- Worms: The Natural Confectionery Co Jelly Squirms
Plastic pots for cups
To make the bug cups, you can reuse leftover plastic pots from hummus and dips. This eco-friendly approach helps reduce waste and promotes sustainability.
When eating Slime Bug Cups, remember to focus on the enjoyment they bring and the memories you make with friends and family. As with any treat, moderation is key to maintaining a balanced and healthy lifestyle.