Treat yourself to the rich and soothing flavors of our delicious “Simple Squash Risotto”. This vegetarian dish, perfect for two, is taken to a new level with roasted pumpkin, giving every bite a delicious, deeply autumnal essence. The creamy risotto melts in your mouth and creates a heavenly experience that warms your soul and tantalizes your taste buds. Whether you’re in the mood for a cozy weeknight dinner or a special date feast, this exquisite recipe is sure to leave you completely satisfied. Let yourself be enchanted by the fascinating aromas of this wonderful seasonal creation.
- 1 butternut squash
- 4 tbsp light olive oil
- 600 ml vegetable broth
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, picked
- 140g risotto rice (we like carnaroli)
- 100 ml white wine
- 50g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), finely grated
Sautéed spinach, shallots and garlic
Heat 2 tablespoons of light olive oil in a frying pan with a lid and cook
Heat over medium heat and add 25g finely chopped shallot
and 1 finely chopped garlic clove. Stir and cook for 1 minute until
golden. Increase the heat and add 200 g of washed young leaves
Spinach. Stir briefly, then pour in 1 tbsp
water and cover tightly to make preparation easier
Steam. Leave on for 30 seconds, then remove
Close the lid, season and bring to the boil quickly
Evaporate the remaining liquid.
Simply pour into a bowl and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Peel the pumpkin and separate the bulbous, seed-bearing part from the narrow end.
- Cut the narrow end into 2cm cubes, toss in half the oil, season lightly and roast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on the outside and soft in the middle, about 30 minutes.
- Cut the onion in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon – you can save these for roasting in the oven and sprinkle on salads.
- Cut the pulp into 2cm pieces.
- Heat the vegetable broth in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Add the pumpkin and let it poach gently.
- While the squash is roasting, heat a medium skillet over low heat.
- Add the remaining olive oil and half the butter, followed by the onion.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
- Stir in celery, garlic, herbs and a few peppercorns (do not add salt at this point).
- Cover again and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat slightly and stir in the rice.
- Stir without the lid for about 5 minutes – this way the roasted aroma of the rice develops without the vegetables burning.
- Increase the heat, stir in the wine and allow it to evaporate almost completely.
- Reduce the heat and begin adding the broth.
- Add a ladleful at a time, stirring gently but constantly.
- Don’t stir too much or you’ll end up with a slurry in the pan.
- When the broth is absorbed, it’s time to add the next ladle and so on.
- It takes about 15 minutes to reach the last ladle of broth.
- By this point the squash in the broth should have softened.
- Puree with the remaining broth and stir into the risotto.
- Turn off the heat, brush the top of the risotto with the remaining butter and most of the Parmesan, cover, let rest for 2 minutes, then stir and check the seasoning.
- Pour the risotto into shallow bowls and sprinkle the roasted pumpkin and remaining Parmesan over it.
- Serve with crusty bread and sautéed spinach (below).
Equipment and tools
Here are the equipment and tools you need to make an easy pumpkin risotto:
- Frying pan with lid
- Medium sized pot
- wooden spoon
This Easy Pumpkin Risotto recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (Parmesan cheese)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Simple Pumpkin Risotto, follow these storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the risotto to cool completely.
- Transfer it to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, heat the risotto in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Easy Pumpkin Risotto
Easy pumpkin risotto is a delicious and nutritious dish that offers numerous health benefits. This dish is packed with nutrients from butternut squash, vegetables, and brown rice, making it a healthy meal choice. Read on to discover the health benefits of an easy pumpkin risotto.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
The butternut squash used in this recipe is a great source of vitamins and minerals. It is rich in vitamin A, which is essential for maintaining healthy vision, strengthening the immune system and promoting cell growth. Additionally, butternut squash contains vitamin C, which helps in collagen production and supports the immune system. It also provides potassium, magnesium and other minerals important for overall health.
2. Rich in fiber
The risotto rice used in this recipe is typically made from carnaroli rice, a type of short-grain Italian rice. This rice is rich in fiber, which has a positive effect on digestion and can prevent constipation. Fiber also helps regulate blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol and promote a healthy weight.
3. Provides antioxidants
Butternut squash and other vegetables used in risotto are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals, which can lead to chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Eating a diet rich in antioxidants can help reduce the risk of these diseases and support overall health.
4. Supports heart health
Incorporating olive oil and garlic into this recipe provides heart-healthy benefits. Olive oil is a healthy source of monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Garlic has been shown to have positive effects on heart health by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
5. Promotes weight management
The combination of fiber from the risotto rice and the low calorie content of the vegetables makes simple pumpkin risotto a filling and satisfying dish. Including this dish in your diet can help you feel fuller for longer, which will help prevent overeating and support your weight control goals.
Overall, easy pumpkin risotto is a tasty and nutritious dish that offers a number of health benefits. With its abundance of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants, it is a healthy choice for anyone who wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Try this recipe and enjoy a delicious meal that will benefit your well-being.