Are you looking for an uncomplicated and delicious fish dish? Then our easy herb baked trout recipe is just right for you! This straightforward recipe bakes a whole trout seasoned with a blend of zesty lemon and fragrant herbs like parsley, dill and thyme. The star ingredient? Spicy horseradish that adds delicious spice to every bite. With minimal effort, this dish is perfect for anyone looking to impress their guests or enjoy a delicious meal without spending hours in the kitchen. Try it and enjoy the harmonious flavors that this trout recipe offers!
- 2 whole rainbow trout, gutted and cleaned
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into thin slices
- Sprigs of various herbs (parsley, thyme and dill work well)
- fresh horseradish, grated, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Place the trout on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Fill the fish cavity with lemon slices and herbs.
- Season the whole trout generously.
- Drizzle the trout with the remaining oil.
- Bake the trout in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Check if the fish is cooked – the eyes have turned white and the flesh feels soft.
- Serve the trout plain with your favorite seasonal vegetables.
- For a special touch, you can peel the top layer of skin off the trout.
- Grate fresh horseradish over the trout before serving.
Equipment and tools
- baking pan
- cutting board
- Grater (optional for horseradish)
This recipe contains fish. If you have a seafood allergy, please avoid this dish.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover trout can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Warm up gently in the oven or enjoy cold in salads or sandwiches.
Health Benefits of Plain Herb Baked Trout and Horseradish
Trout is not only a delicious fish but also a nutritious addition to your diet. Combined with fresh herbs and a hint of horseradish, this simple herb-baked trout dish becomes a powerhouse of health benefits. Let’s explore the various benefits of including this recipe in your diet:
1. Omega-3 fatty acids for heart health
Trout is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, essential fats that support heart health. These fatty acids help reduce inflammation, lower the risk of heart disease, and improve overall cardiovascular function. Regular consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is also associated with a reduced risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
2. Protein for muscle growth
This herb baked trout dish is high in protein, making it an ideal choice for people looking to build and maintain muscle mass. Protein is essential for tissue repair, growth and development. Including an adequate amount of protein in your diet helps support healthy bones, strengthens the immune system and helps with weight control.
3. Rich in essential vitamins and minerals
The combination of herbs and lemon in this recipe provides a range of vitamins and minerals. Parsley, thyme and dill are excellent sources of vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and bone health. They also contain vitamins A and C, which strengthen the immune system and promote healthy skin. In addition, these herbs contain minerals such as iron, calcium and manganese.
4. Antioxidant properties
The fresh herbs used in this recipe are not only aromatic but also full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress, which can damage cells and lead to chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease. By incorporating antioxidant-rich herbs into your diet, you can strengthen your body’s defense mechanisms and promote overall well-being.
5. Digestive Benefits
When used as a garnish, horseradish adds a flavorful touch and can provide additional health benefits. It is known to have digestive properties and aid in the breakdown of fats and proteins. Horseradish also has antimicrobial properties that can help fight harmful bacteria in the digestive system and promote gut health.
Overall, enjoying this simple herb-baked trout and horseradish dish not only pleases your taste buds, but also provides your body with important nutrients. By incorporating this recipe into your regular meal routine, you can contribute to a balanced, nutrient-dense diet that supports your overall health and well-being.