Satisfy your craving for a delicious curry while opting for a healthy option with our delicious Prawn Jalfrezi recipe. Immerse yourself in the rich flavors of Indian cuisine by blending onions and aromatic spices into an authentic, thick sauce. What makes this dish even more tempting is that it is remarkably low in fat. Treat yourself to the tender shrimps coated in this spicy sauce and you won’t feel guilty. Get ready for a culinary adventure with this delicious Indian dish!
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- thumb-sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili flakes (or less if you don’t like it too spicy)
- 400 g chopped canned tomatoes
- Drizzle of clear honey
- 1 large green pepper, halved, seeded and chopped
- small bunch of coriander, stems and leaves separated, chopped
- 140 g large, cooked, peeled king prawns
- 250g bag of cooked brown rice
- Mint yogurt or chutney for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Sauté onions, ginger and garlic for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened and starting to color.
- Add spices and chili flakes and stir briefly.
- Pour in the tomatoes with half a can of water and the honey.
- Puree everything in the pan with a hand blender or food processor until almost smooth.
- Stir in pepper and coriander stalks.
- Cover the pan and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp.
- Scatter over the coriander leaves.
- Heat the rice according to package instructions.
- Serve the prawn jalfrezi and rice with mint yoghurt or chutney if desired.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- tin opener
This Shrimp Jalfrezi Recipe contains the following allergens:
- Shellfish (shrimp)
Please keep this in mind if you or your guests have allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
This dish is not suitable for freezing.
Health Benefits of Shrimp Jalfrezi
Shrimp jalfrezi is a tasty and nutritious dish that offers various health benefits. This delicious Indian dish combines shrimp with a variety of spices and vegetables to create a well-rounded meal packed with essential nutrients. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of the following key ingredients:
Two teaspoons of canola oil are used in this recipe. Rapeseed oil has a favorable fatty acid profile because it is low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat. It is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on heart health and reduce inflammation in the body.
Ginger and garlic
Both ginger and garlic are widely known for their medicinal properties. Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects and is often used to aid digestion and relieve nausea. Garlic, on the other hand, contains compounds that may help lower blood pressure and support immune function.
Coriander and turmeric
Coriander and turmeric are two commonly used spices in Indian cuisine. Coriander has antioxidant properties and can help improve digestion. Turmeric contains curcumin, a bioactive compound known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It may also help improve brain function and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Tomatoes and green peppers
The recipe includes a can of chopped tomatoes and a large green pepper. Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A and C, as well as lycopene, an antioxidant that may reduce the risk of certain cancers. Green peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C and also contain fiber, which aids digestion and helps with weight control.
Shrimp is the main ingredient in this dish and is a good source of protein. They are also low in saturated fatty acids and are a rich source of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, zinc and selenium. Including shrimp in your diet can support muscle growth, boost the immune system, and promote brain health.
This recipe contains cooked brown rice, which is a healthier alternative to white rice. Brown rice contains more fiber and nutrients, including magnesium and vitamin B6. It helps regulate blood sugar levels, supports digestion and provides sustained energy.
Coriander and mint yogurt
Mint yoghurt or chutney is recommended as an optional side dish. Yogurt offers probiotics that promote a healthy gut and boost the immune system. Mint provides a refreshing taste and can help relieve indigestion and promote digestion.
With a combination of these healthy ingredients, Shrimp Jalfrezi offers a nutritious and flavorful meal that offers a range of health benefits for your body and overall well-being.