Make the most of your leftover porridge with these incredibly delicious prawn and cod cakes. These super healthy fish cakes not only taste heavenly but also provide a nutritious treat for your taste buds. The combination of tender shrimp, juicy cod and the smooth mash creates a delicious mix of flavors and textures. These fish cakes are a great way to use up leftover ingredients while enjoying a guilt-free meal. Whether you’re a seafood lover or looking for a healthier alternative, these shrimp and cod cakes are an absolute must. Serve them as a standalone dish or as a delicious addition to your favorite side dishes.
- 250g cod loin, skinless and boneless
- 175g cooked king prawns, chopped
- 175g mashed potatoes
- small bunch of chives, chopped
- To serve, zest 1 lemon and serve 1 sliced lemon
- 5 eggs, 1 beaten
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 200g green beans
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- In a small pot, cover the cod with cold water and gently poach for 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the cod with a slotted spoon and pat dry. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add the shrimp, potatoes, most of the chives, lemon zest and some seasoning to the bowl with the cod.
- Form the mixture into 4 equal-sized cakes and chill for 10 minutes.
- Dip each cake into the beaten egg.
- Brush each cake with breadcrumbs and repeat with remaining fish cakes.
- Brush each cake with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Place the cakes on a roasting tray and bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Cook beans in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the tomatoes to the boiling water for the last minute.
- Drain the beans and mix with the remaining oil, vinegar and remaining chives.
- Mash the tomatoes lightly with a fork and add to the bean mixture.
- Season with black pepper and set aside.
- In a shallow pot of just simmering water, stir the water once or twice.
- Crack the eggs and poach them for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.
- Serve the fish cakes with a poached egg.
- Garnish with the beans and a few lemon wedges for squeezing.
Here is the HTML formatted text for the Equipment and Tools, Allergen Information, and Storage and Leftovers sections of the Shrimp and Cod Cake recipe article:
Equipment and tools
Before you begin preparation, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Paper towels
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Fish (cod)
- Crustaceans (shrimp)
Before preparing the dish, please make sure that you and your guests are not allergic to any of these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, follow these storage tips:
- Allow the shrimp and cod cakes to cool to room temperature.
- Place the cakes in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
Enjoy the delicious shrimp and cod cakes as a leftover meal or snack!
Note: The ingredient details provided at the beginning of the prompt were not used in this code snippet because they are not relevant to the requested sections.
Health Benefits of Shrimp and Cod Cakes
When it comes to delicious and nutritious seafood dishes, Prawn & Cod Cakes are the perfect choice. Packed with high-quality protein and essential nutrients, these cakes not only delight your taste buds but also provide multiple health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their benefits:
Cod is a lean white fish that is low in calories, fat and carbohydrates. It is an excellent source of protein that is essential for building and repairing tissue in our body. Additionally, cod provides important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, potassium and selenium, which help maintain a healthy heart and support brain function.
King prawns are an exceptional source of high quality protein and contain very little fat. They’re also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation and promote heart health. In addition, shrimp contain important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, zinc and selenium, which contribute to skin health, immune function and antioxidant protection.
Mashed potatoes serve as a binding agent in the Prawn & Cod Cakes while providing a range of beneficial nutrients. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and potassium. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports immune function, while vitamin B6 is essential for brain development and function. Potassium is crucial for maintaining proper heart and muscle function.
Chives and lemon:
Not only do chives and lemon peel add a burst of flavor, but they also offer health benefits of their own. Chives are rich in antioxidants and contain vitamins A, C and K. Lemon peel provides a refreshing citrus aroma and is a good source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and collagen production.
Green beans and cherry tomatoes:
The side vegetables in this recipe, green beans and cherry tomatoes, are an excellent source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. Green beans are a good source of vitamin K and vitamin C, while cherry tomatoes provide vitamin A and potassium. Including these nutrient-dense vegetables in your diet promotes digestive health, strengthens the immune system and supports overall well-being.
White wine vinegar:
The addition of white wine vinegar gives the dish a spicy taste. It is also believed to have a number of potential health benefits, including aiding digestion, regulating blood sugar levels, and improving skin health.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, Prawn & Cod Cakes provide a delicious and healthy meal that supports various aspects of your health. Whether you’re looking for a protein-rich dish or trying to get more vitamins and minerals into your diet, these cakes are an excellent choice.