Treat yourself to a delicious Irish-inspired dinner with our Bacon Smashed Potato and Poached Egg Colcannon recipe. This delicious dish is made with tender cabbage, irresistibly smoky bacon and perfectly soft eggs. The combination of flavors creates a soothing meal that will pamper your taste buds. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is only suitable for non-Muslims. Make this hearty weeknight dinner and enjoy the rich and delicious flavors of Ireland.
- 600g new potatoes, well scrubbed and halved
- 400 g cabbage, washed, cleaned and finely grated
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 4 slices smoked bacon, cut into 2cm thick slices
- 6 spring onions, cleaned and finely chopped
- 25g butter, diced
- 4 large fridge-cold eggs
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until tender, 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a second pot with water, bring to a boil, and cook the cabbage until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage in a colander, run under cold water to cool quickly, then drain again.
- Ten minutes before the potatoes are ready, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes, until lightly coloured.
- Add the spring onions and cabbage to the pan and heat while stirring.
- Half-fill the pot in which the cabbage was cooked with water, bring it to a boil, then bring it to a very gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, drain the potatoes in a colander and return them to the pan.
- Add butter and spices and mash roughly with a potato masher.
- Stir the cabbage, bacon and onions lightly into the potatoes.
- Keep warm over very low heat.
- Add the eggs to the gently simmering water and poach for 3 minutes.
- Place the colcannon on 4 preheated plates.
- Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place them on top.
- Season with black pepper and serve.
Equipment and tools
To make this Shredded Potato Colcannon with Bacon and Poached Eggs recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A big pot
- A sieve
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- A frying pan
- A slotted spoon
- A potato masher or fork
- A serving plate
This recipe for Colcannon made from shredded potatoes with bacon and poached eggs may contain the following allergens:
- Bacon: May contain pork
- Butter: Contains dairy products
- Eggs: May cause allergies in some people
Please be sure to check ingredient labels if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers of this Shredded Potato Colcannon with Bacon and Poached Eggs, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place in the microwave or gently heat in a skillet until warmed through.
However, please note that the texture of the dish may change when reheated and the poached eggs may not be as runny as when freshly prepared.
Health Benefits of Colcannon from Shredded Potatoes with Bacon and Poached Eggs
Crushed Potato Colcannon with Bacon and Poached Eggs is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the benefits of potatoes, cabbage, bacon and eggs. This comforting meal not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and their nutritional benefits:
New potatoes are a rich source of several essential nutrients, including vitamin C, potassium and fiber. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, supports the immune system and keeps your skin healthy. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and maintain proper muscle function. In addition, the fiber in new potatoes supports digestion and contributes to a healthy intestine.
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is both low in calories and packed with nutrients. It contains significant amounts of vitamin K, vitamin C and fiber. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone health, while vitamin C provides antioxidant benefits and boosts immune function. The fiber contained in cabbage supports digestion, can promote a feeling of satiety and thus support weight management.
Although bacon is often associated with indulgence, moderate consumption can still provide some nutritional benefits. Smoked bacon is a good source of protein, essential for the growth and repair of body tissues. It also provides energy and helps you feel full. However, due to its high sodium and saturated fat content, bacon should be consumed in moderation.
Spring onions not only add flavor and freshness to dishes, but also contain several important nutrients. They are particularly characterized by their high content of vitamin K and vitamin C. Vitamin K plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health, while vitamin C supports the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin.
Eggs are a nutrient-dense food that offers numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of high-quality protein and provide all the essential amino acids the body needs. Eggs are also rich in vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin B12 and vitamin D. They also contain minerals such as iron and selenium. Contrary to previous beliefs, moderate egg consumption does not appear to increase the risk of heart disease in healthy people.
By incorporating these ingredients into the Crushed Potato Colcannon with Bacon & Poached Eggs recipe, you will not only create a tasty and filling dish, but also provide your body with a variety of essential nutrients. Remember to enjoy this meal in moderation as part of a balanced diet for optimal health.