This delicious Sherry Almond Christmas Cake is a true holiday treat. Packed with a generous amount of almonds, both ground and whole, it offers a deliciously crunchy texture. To enhance its irresistible flavor, we soaked it in delicious raisin PX sherry, resulting in a cake that is intensely fruity yet perfectly balanced without being overly rich. This heavenly dessert is the ideal centerpiece for your Christmas celebrations and is guaranteed to impress your loved ones and leave them wanting more. Get ready for a piece of pure holiday happiness!
- 1 kg bag of mixed dried fruits (not with cherries)
- Zest and squeeze 2 large oranges
- 150 ml PX (Pedro Ximenez) sherry, plus something to feed
- 250g pack of butter, softened, plus some butter for the tin
- 250 g light muscovado sugar
- Scrape seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 140g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp spice mix
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 140g whole almonds
- Mix the fruit, zest, juice and sherry and let soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas 3.
- Butter and double line a deep, 20cm round cake tin.
- Wrap the outside with brown paper or newspaper and secure with string as this will protect the sides from overcooking.
- Mix butter, sugar and vanilla pulp until a light, creamy mixture is formed.
- Mix the flour, ground almonds and mixed spices together and then add them to the butter mixture with the eggs.
- Beat until well blended and smooth.
- Stir in the whole almonds, fruit and any leftover juices, pour into the mold, smooth the top and make a dip in the middle.
- Bake for 1½ hours.
- Turn the oven down to 140°C/fan 130°C/level 2 and then bake for a further 1.5 hours, until the top is dark and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Once cool enough to handle, invert onto a cooling rack and peel off the liner.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Keep the cake well wrapped and then feed it with 1-2 tbsp of sherry every two weeks.
- Poke holes in the cake with a skewer and slowly spoon the sherry over the top.
- If you don’t have time for this, this cake is delicious freshly made and can be covered and decorated immediately once it has completely cooled.
Equipment and tools
To make the Sherry Almond Christmas Cake you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or wooden spoon
- 23cm round cake tin
- parchment paper
- Cooking spray or additional butter for greasing the pan
- Baking paper or aluminum foil
- Cooling rack
The Sherry Almond Christmas Cake contains the following allergens:
Please note that depending on the dried fruit mix used, the cake may also contain other allergens. Be sure to check the ingredient list for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
Once the Sherry Almond Christmas Cake has cooled completely, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Alternatively, you can wrap it tightly in cling film or aluminum foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
If you have leftovers, you can enjoy them within the same storage guidelines. The cake can be served as is, or you can warm individual pieces in the microwave or oven for a few seconds before serving.
Health Benefits of Sherry Almond Christmas Cake
Health Benefits of Sherry Almond Christmas Cake
One of the most popular Christmas treats is the traditional fruit cake. This year, why not try a twist on the classic recipe and bake a sherry almond Christmas cake? Not only does it offer a unique flavor combination but it also comes with several health benefits.
Mixed dried fruits
The first ingredient in this recipe is a 1kg bag of mixed dried fruits. These fruits like raisins, currants and sultanas are full of essential nutrients. They are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Dried fruits also contain vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, potassium and iron, which contribute to overall health and well-being.
The zest and juice of two large oranges not only give the cake a refreshing citrus taste, but also provide numerous health benefits. Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and increases collagen production for healthy skin. In addition, they contain antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The recipe calls for 150ml of PX sherry (Pedro Ximenez), which not only adds body and flavor but also offers potential health benefits. Sherry is made from grapes and contains antioxidants that can protect against oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. In moderation, sherry is associated with heart health and may help reduce the risk of certain cardiovascular diseases.
butter and sugar
While it’s important to consume these ingredients in moderation, the soft butter and light muscovado sugar in this recipe add moisture and sweetness to the cake. In addition, butter contains vitamins A and E, healthy fats and fatty acids necessary for the body to function optimally. Light muscovado sugar, on the other hand, provides natural sweetness and contains small amounts of minerals such as calcium, potassium and iron.
Both ground and whole almonds are used in this recipe, providing a wonderfully nutty flavor and valuable health benefits. Almonds are rich in healthy fats, fiber, protein and vitamin E. They have been linked to reduced inflammation, improved heart health and better blood sugar control. Almonds are also rich in antioxidants, making them an excellent addition to a dessert that is as tasty as it is nutritious.
Incorporating Sherry Almond Christmas Cake into your festive celebrations is not only a delicious treat for your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. From the mixed dried fruits to oranges, sherry, butter, sugar and almonds, each ingredient has its own unique nutritional value. Treat yourself to this special cake with the knowledge that it not only tastes delicious but also promotes your overall well-being.