This buttery Italian bread is a true centerpiece among Christmas desserts. The delicious combination of sherry, almond and orange creates a heavenly flavor profile that will leave your taste buds wanting more. Its light and fluffy texture pairs perfectly with a heavenly whipped cream topping, and a decadent drizzle of chocolate adds an irresistible touch of indulgence.
- 300 ml cream
- 250g mascarpone
- 4 tbsp Pedro Ximénez Sherry
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, plus some for dusting
- 1 Pandora
- 50g almonds, roasted and roughly chopped
- edible gold leaf (optional)
- In a large bowl, stir together the cream, mascarpone, half the sherry, 3/4 of the zest and the powdered sugar until the mixture is liquid and just holds its shape.
- Cut the Pandoro horizontally into five slices.
- Place the bottom piece on a serving plate or cake stand and drizzle with some of the remaining sherry.
- Pour a quarter of the cream mixture on top and top with a handful of almonds (reserve enough for each layer and to decorate the top).
- Add the next layer of Pandoro and continue placing the layers together, rotating each layer at a different angle, creating the shape of a Christmas tree.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Then spread the gold leaf (if using) over the top along with the remaining almonds and orange peel.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Microplane or grater
- Sieve or sieve
- Serving plate
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (double cream and mascarpone)
Please be sure to check for additional specific allergens depending on your dietary needs or restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover sherry, almond and orange pandoro, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before serving again, lightly dust the surface with powdered sugar to freshen up its appearance.
Health Benefits of Sherry, Almond and Orange Pandoro
When it comes to delicious desserts, the combination of sherry, almonds and orange in a Pandoro not only offers a heavenly taste but also a number of health benefits. Let’s dive into the wonderful benefits this delicious treat can provide:
1. Rich in Vitamin C
The large orange peel used in this recipe is an excellent source of vitamin C. This essential nutrient is known for its antioxidant properties that help protect cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Vitamin C also plays an important role in supporting a healthy immune system.
2. Good source of healthy fats
The combination of double cream and mascarpone in this Pandoro contributes to a good source of healthy fats. Both ingredients contain monounsaturated fats, which have positive effects on heart health. These fats, when consumed in moderation, can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
3. Increase antioxidants
This recipe contains Pedro Ximénez sherry, which provides rich flavor while providing a dose of antioxidants. Antioxidants are important for neutralizing free radicals in the body and help prevent chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and certain types of cancer.
4. Nutritional Powerhouse – Almonds
Almonds, the main ingredient in this Pandoro, are full of nutrients. These nuts are an excellent source of healthy fats, fiber, proteins, and essential vitamins and minerals. Consuming them is associated with improved heart health, reduced inflammation and better brain function.
5. Decadent but not overly sweet
Compared to other desserts, the sweetness of this Pandoro recipe is relatively moderate. Using just two tablespoons of powdered sugar creates a pleasantly decadent flavor without an overwhelming sugar rush. This makes it a suitable option for those who want to watch their sugar intake or maintain a balanced diet.
So when you treat yourself to a piece of Sherry, Almond and Orange Pandoro, you’ll not only be treating your taste buds, but you’ll also be treating your body to these fantastic health benefits. Enjoy the pleasure without the guilt!