This delicious recipe for Seared Scallops with Cauliflower Vanilla Puree is a tempting flavor combination. The smooth and velvety cauliflower puree, refined with a hint of vanilla, goes perfectly with the sweet caramelized scallops.
Enjoy the rich creaminess of this dish, as the vanilla beautifully underlines the mild taste of the cauliflower. Please note that it contains pork and is therefore suitable for non-Muslims. Prepare to enjoy a delicious combination of textures and flavors as you enjoy this sensational culinary creation!
- 140g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 150 ml milk
- ½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 4 slices of pancetta
- Drizzle maple syrup over it
- 50 g fresh porcini or chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 scallops, with or without roe, as you like
- a few chive rolls for serving
- Place the cauliflower, milk, vanilla pod and vanilla pulp in a small saucepan with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Drain the cauliflower, reserving the milk and removing the vanilla pod.
- Blend the cauliflower in a food processor until smooth, adding a dollop of butter, spices and enough milk until you get a nice, smooth consistency.
- This can be prepared up to a day in advance and then reheated in a skillet or microwave.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Cover a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper, place the pancetta on top and bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper, drizzle with maple syrup and set aside until serving.
- Fry the porcini mushrooms in half the olive oil in a hot pan until they begin to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in a frying pan and season the scallops.
- Fry the scallops over high heat for 1-1½ minutes on each side until caramelized.
- To serve, divide the puree onto plates, top with porcini mushrooms, scallops and pancetta and sprinkle with chives.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 2 days. To reheat, heat gently in a skillet or microwave until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Seared Scallops with Cauliflower Vanilla Puree
Not only are scallops a delicacy enjoyed by many, they also offer a number of health benefits. Combined with the creamy and nutritious cauliflower vanilla puree, this dish becomes a delicious and nutritious addition to your diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of each ingredient in this delicious recipe.
Cauliflower is a low-calorie vegetable that is packed with essential nutrients and health-promoting compounds. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, K, and folic acid, all of which are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system and supporting bone health. Additionally, cauliflower contains antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
While vanilla is often associated with its sweet taste, it also offers health benefits. The seeds of the vanilla bean contain essential oils with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties can help reduce inflammation in the body and protect against cell damage. Vanilla is also known for its calming effects, making it a great addition to a dish that promotes relaxation.
Pancetta is an Italian-style bacon that gives this dish a special flavor. Although pancetta is high in fat and sodium, it is a good source of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and supporting the function of enzymes and hormones in the body. However, due to its high sodium content, it is important to consume pancetta in moderation.
4. Maple Syrup:
The drizzle of maple syrup in this recipe adds a touch of sweetness. While maple syrup should be consumed sparingly due to its high sugar content, it contains several beneficial compounds. It provides a range of antioxidants that can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. It also provides small amounts of essential minerals such as calcium and zinc.
5. Porcini or chestnut mushrooms:
In addition to being a delicious addition to this dish, mushrooms also provide several health benefits. Porcini and chestnut mushrooms are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. They contain selenium, which plays a crucial role in the antioxidant defense system. These mushrooms are also low in calories and fat, making them a nutritious choice for a balanced diet.
6. Olive Oil:
Olive oil is a heart-healthy oil commonly used in Mediterranean cuisine. It contains monounsaturated fats, which may help lower LDL cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, olive oil is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that contribute to overall well-being.
Scallops are the star of this dish and are a great source of lean protein. They are low in calories and fat while providing important nutrients such as vitamin B12, magnesium and potassium. Scallops are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have positive effects on heart health and brain function. Including scallops in your diet can support muscle growth, increase energy levels, and help maintain healthy bones.
As you can see, this recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From nutrient-dense cauliflower to protein-packed scallops and antioxidant-rich ingredients, this dish is a delicious way to nourish your body.