Looking for a simple but delicious fish dish? Look no further! Our Roasted Cod with Simple Watercress Sauce and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes is the perfect option for a no-fuss meal. The juicy cod fillets are beautifully and perfectly roasted, with a crispy exterior and tender, flaky flesh. The dish is refined with a delicious watercress sauce that gives it a refreshing and spicy taste. To make the taste a little sweeter, we also roast cherry tomatoes until they are bursting with juiciness. This recipe is a real winner for anyone looking for a quick and easy seafood dinner.
- 6 Icelandic cod fillets (about 175g/6oz each), with skin on
- 25 g butter, soft
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g cherry tomatoes, a mix of red and yellow if you can get them
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 150 ml dry white wine
- half a 200 g can of crème fraîche
- Bunch of watercress, hard stems removed, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 100 ml whipped cream
- Parsley or chervil sprigs for garnish
- Brush the cod skin with butter and season with sea salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and place the cod, skin side down. Fry until the skin is crispy and golden brown without moving the fish.
- Turn the cod out onto a shallow ovenproof dish.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in a separate shallow baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook shallots and wine in a small skillet for 2-3 minutes, until wine is almost evaporated.
- Place shallots and wine in a food processor, add crème fraîche and watercress and season with salt and pepper. Puree until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired, then return the sauce to the pan and set aside.
- Lightly whip the cream until it just holds its shape.
- Preheat the oven to fan 170°C/fan 190°C/gas 5.
- Roast the cod and tomatoes for 12-15 minutes until cooked through.
- Heat the sauce carefully, remove from the heat and fold in the cream.
- Taste the sauce and add additional seasonings and lemon juice if necessary.
- Arrange the cod on warm plates with the cherry tomatoes and a spoonful of watercress sauce.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley or chervil.
- Serve with buttered new potatoes.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- Sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, crème fraîche, whipped cream)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Heat the cod and sauce in the microwave or oven until warmed through. Cherry tomatoes are best enjoyed fresh and may not retain their texture after storage.
Health Benefits of Roasted Cod with Simple Watercress Sauce and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
When it comes to healthy and delicious meals, Seared Cod with Simple Watercress Sauce and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes is the perfect choice. It not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and what benefits they bring:
Icelandic cod fillets
One of the main ingredients of this dish is Icelandic cod fillets. Cod is a lean fish that is high in essential proteins and low in fat. Consuming cod not only helps build and repair body tissues but also promotes muscle growth. It is also an excellent source of vitamins B12 and B6, which are essential for brain health and energy production.
butter and olive oil
The small amount of butter used in this recipe gives the dish a special touch. Although butter should be consumed in moderation due to its high saturated fat content, it can provide essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins. Olive oil, on the other hand, is known for its heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Cherry tomatoes not only add beautiful colors to the dish, but also provide a number of health benefits. They’re packed with antioxidants like lycopene, which may help protect against certain cancers and improve heart health. In addition, cherry tomatoes are a good source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and collagen production.
Shallots, a type of onion, are not only delicious but also beneficial for your health. They contain antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and boost immune function. Shallots also provide important minerals, including potassium and manganese.
Dry white wine
While the dry white wine in the recipe adds a wonderful depth of flavor, it also offers potential health benefits when consumed in moderation. Moderate consumption of alcohol, such as a glass of wine, is associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
The small amount of crème fraîche used in the watercress sauce provides a creamy texture and tangy flavor. Although it is high in saturated fats, moderate consumption can be part of a balanced diet.
Watercress is a nutrient-dense leafy green that is rich in vitamins A, C and K. It is also rich in antioxidants and minerals such as calcium and iron. Including watercress in your diet can support bone health, boost the immune system and promote healthy digestion.
lemon juice and whipped cream
Lemon juice adds a refreshing tang to the dish and is a good source of vitamin C. Although heavy in saturated fat, whipped cream provides a source of energy and can be enjoyed occasionally as part of a balanced diet.
Parsley or chervil sprigs
Both parsley and chervil sprigs as a side dish not only enhance the appearance of the dish, but also offer health benefits. Both herbs are rich in vitamin K, which supports blood clotting and bone health.
As you can see, “Roasted Cod with Simple Watercress Sauce and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes” is a dish that will not only please your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. From lean proteins to antioxidants and essential vitamins, this recipe is the perfect choice for anyone looking for a nutritious and delicious meal.