Use mushroom soup cleverly in this Scandinavian-style beef meatball dish with dill sauce. These savory meatballs are made from juicy beef and flavored with delicious flavors from Scandinavian cuisine. Each meatball is perfectly seasoned and cooked to tenderness, delivering a burst of mouth-watering deliciousness in every bite. Served with a creamy dill sauce, the dish transforms into a heavenly combination that will leave you wanting more. This recipe offers a delicious, unique twist on traditional meatballs and showcases the unique flavors of Scandinavia that are sure to delight your taste buds.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 beef meatballs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 294 g canned condensed mushroom soup
- ½ x small packet of dill, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp mustard – French mustard, whole grain mustard or whatever you have in your cupboard
- Mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a lid.
- Fry the meatballs over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, turning frequently to brown all over.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain off any excess oil, reserving about 1 tablespoon.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the soup with half a can of water.
- Add the meatballs back to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in dill, mustard and some spices.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and cabbage.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the Scandi Meatballs recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- tin opener
- Small pack
- Mixing spoon
Please note that this Scandi Meatballs recipe may contain allergens. It is important to check the ingredients and take necessary precautions if you or anyone consuming the dish suffers from allergies or food intolerances. The recipe may contain the following potential allergens:
- Mushroom soup
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover Scandi meatballs, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They last up to 3 days. To reheat the meatballs, you can either heat them in the microwave or warm them in a skillet over low heat. Consider serving the leftovers with mashed potatoes and cooked cabbage for a delicious meal.
The Health Benefits of Scandi Meatballs
Scandi meatballs, a popular dish from Scandinavian countries, are not only delicious but also surprisingly beneficial for your health. Packed with healthy ingredients, these meatballs provide a range of nutrients that promote overall wellness.
1. Protein-rich beef meatballs
Every bite of Scandi Meatball provides a generous amount of high-quality protein thanks to the beef meatballs. Protein is an essential macronutrient that supports muscle growth, repair and maintenance. It also helps you feel fuller for longer by curbing unnecessary snacking and promoting weight management.
2. Nutrient-rich onion and garlic
Finely chopped onions and garlic give Scandi meatballs their flavor, but they also have health benefits. Onions are a great source of antioxidants, which can help fight inflammation and protect against chronic diseases. Garlic, on the other hand, contains compounds that may have potential immune-boosting and heart-protective effects.
3. Condensed mushroom soup
The addition of condensed mushroom soup further improves the flavor and nutritional profile of the Scandi meatballs. Mushrooms are low in calories and rich in essential nutrients such as B vitamins, selenium and potassium. They also have unique compounds that support immune function and may have potential anti-cancer properties.
4. Healthy herbs: dill
The small pack of coarsely chopped dill not only gives the meatballs a refreshing taste, but also provides a boost in nutritional value. Dill is rich in vitamins A and C as well as several minerals such as calcium and iron. In addition, it may have antimicrobial properties and aid digestion.
5. Possible Health Benefits of Mustard
Whether you use French mustard, whole grain mustard, or another type of mustard from your stash, it can add to the health benefits of Scandi meatballs. Mustard seeds contain various plant compounds, including antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Some research also suggests that mustard may have antimicrobial properties and aid digestion.
6. Served with mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage
The dish is completed with Scandinavian meatballs, which are traditionally served with mashed potatoes and boiled cabbage. Potatoes are a great source of energy due to their carbohydrate content, while cabbage provides a range of beneficial nutrients such as fiber, vitamins C and K, and antioxidants.
With all these nutritious ingredients, Scandi meatballs provide a filling and healthy meal that can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. So just give them a try and experience the delicious taste and additional health benefits.