Sausage & Mash Pies are the ultimate comfort food that combines cheesy mashed potatoes and delicious, plump crackers. This indulgent recipe is perfect for non-Muslims as it contains pork. Serving these delicious cakes individually makes for a peaceful, filling meal without portion disputes. Whether at a cozy family meal or a comforting lunch, these cakes promise a taste that will leave you wanting more. Treat yourself to the irresistible flavors and textures of these delicious creations!”
- 1kg potato, cut into even pieces
- 25g butter
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 85g Red Leicester or Cheddar, finely diced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 large, meaty pork and leek sausages, removed from the shell
- 175 ml chicken stock
- 2 tomatoes, each cut into 6 wedges
- Vegetables of your choice or baked beans to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes, then drain and mash them with butter, milk and spices.
- Stir in the Red Leicester or Cheddar.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onions, stirring frequently, until soft, 5 minutes.
- Add the sausages and break them up with a wooden spoon until they have a consistency similar to coarse ground meat.
- Pour in the broth and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Divide the sausage mixture into 4 individual cake pans.
- Top with the cheese pulp.
- You can freeze the cakes for up to 2 months. Simply thaw in the refrigerator before baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
- Top with the tomato wedges.
- Serve with your child’s favorite vegetables or baked beans.
Equipment and tools
- Potato masher
- frying pan
- baking pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- sunflower oil
- pork meat
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover Sausage & Mash Pies, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the pies in a preheated 180°C oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health benefits of sausage and mash pies
Health benefits of sausage and mash pies
Sausage and mash pies are a delicious comfort food that combines the flavors of sausages, creamy mashed potatoes and a variety of vegetables. Not only are they filling, but they also offer numerous health benefits. Let’s explore some of the key ingredients and their positive effects on the body.
Potatoes are the main ingredient in the mash of these pies. Not only are potatoes a versatile and tasty vegetable, they also offer numerous health benefits. They are an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin B6, which support the immune system and help produce neurotransmitters. Potatoes also provide a good amount of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
Red Leicester or Cheddar cheese
The addition of Red Leicester or Cheddar cheese gives the mashed potato topping a delicious richness and creaminess. Cheese, when consumed in moderation, can be a good source of calcium, protein, and vitamins A and B12. Calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth, while protein is necessary for building and repairing tissue in the body.
Pork and leek sausage
The meaty pork and leek sausages used in these pies not only provide a hearty and savory taste, but also provide high nutritional value. Pork is an excellent source of protein that is essential for muscle growth, muscle repair, and overall body function. Leeks, on the other hand, belong to the same family as onions and garlic and are rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as antioxidants. These nutrients support the immune system, promote healthy vision and contribute to bone health.
Using chicken broth in this recipe gives the pie filling an intense flavor. Although chicken broth itself may not offer many direct health benefits, it can be a good source of fluids and can make you feel full due to its high water content. This can potentially help with portion control and overall calorie intake.
The addition of tomatoes cut into wedges gives the cake a touch of freshness and spice. Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C and other antioxidants, which protect the body from free radicals, support collagen production, and aid the absorption of iron from plant foods.
Overall, treating yourself to a sausage and mash cake can be a tasty and nutritious choice. With a combination of potatoes, cheese, sausage, vegetables and broth, this dish provides a range of essential nutrients that support a healthy diet when consumed as part of a balanced meal plan.
Remember to pay attention to portion sizes and practice moderation to enjoy both the taste and health benefits of this comforting dish.