This filling and easy sausage cassoulet packs tons of flavor without the big price tag. Perfect for a comforting weeknight meal, this delicious dish combines hearty sausages with hearty lentils and aromatic herbs and spices for a delicious burst of flavor.
The sausages are perfectly browned and release their juicy juices, while the lentils add a comforting and earthy note. With a combination of rich flavors and delicate textures, this cassoulet is a delicious way to satisfy your cravings.
This recipe is not only affordable, but also versatile and adaptable. You can customize the ingredients and seasonings to suit your taste and dietary preferences. Whether as a main course or as a side dish: this sausage and lentil cassoulet is guaranteed to become a family favorite.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 pork sausages
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into thick slices
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g canned green lentils
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs (see tip below)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in an ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat and fry the sausages for 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the sausages from the baking dish and place them in a bowl. Set them aside.
- Add the onion and bacon to the casserole and fry until golden brown, 10 minutes.
- Return the sausages to the baking dish.
- Add carrots, rosemary, garlic and peppers to the casserole. Cook for 2 minutes until the carrots just start to take on some color.
- Add the tomatoes and lentils (along with the canned liquid). Season the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the sausages are cooked through.
- In the meantime, preheat the grill to the highest setting or the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Rub the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the sausage mixture.
- Grill or bake for 5-10 minutes, being careful not to catch the breadcrumbs, until the topping is crisp and golden brown.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Oven-safe dishes
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from breadcrumbs)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the cassoulet in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warmed through. Alternatively, reheat on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
Health Benefits of Sausage and Lentil Cassoulet
Sausage and Lentil Cassoulet is a hearty and nutritious dish that combines the savory taste of sausages with the healthy benefits of lentils. Packed with essential nutrients, this dish will not only satisfy your taste buds but also promote your overall well-being.
1. Lean protein
The pork sausages used in this recipe are a good source of lean protein. Protein is essential for repairing and building body tissue, supporting muscle growth, and strengthening the immune system. Including lean protein in your diet will help you feel fuller for longer and promote healthy weight management. In addition, protein is important for the production of enzymes and hormones that regulate various body functions.
2. Rich in fiber
The combination of lentils and vegetables in this cassoulet contributes to its high fiber content. Fiber plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy digestive system by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. It also helps control blood sugar levels, lowers cholesterol and supports heart health. Including fiber-rich foods in your diet can aid weight management and provide a feeling of satiety.
3. Vitamins and minerals
This recipe contains several ingredients rich in vitamins and minerals. Onions, for example, are a good source of vitamin C, which supports immune function and acts as an antioxidant. Carrots contain vitamin A, which is important for maintaining healthy skin and good vision. Lentils are rich in iron, which is important for transporting oxygen throughout the body, and they are an excellent source of folate, which is essential for cell growth and development.
The smoked paprika used in this dish not only provides a smoky flavor but also provides powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals, which can lead to chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s. Including antioxidant-rich foods in your diet can help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress, promoting overall health and well-being.
5. Heart healthy
The olive oil used in this recipe is a heart-healthy fat that provides monounsaturated fat. These healthy fats can help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. By incorporating olive oil into your cooking, you are choosing a healthier option that supports cardiovascular health.
Overall, this sausage and lentil cassoulet dish offers a great balance of flavors and a variety of health benefits. By enjoying this delicious recipe, you can tantalize your taste buds while providing your body with essential nutrients.