Would you like to add a unique touch to your favorite dishes? Look no further than our delicious salted egg yolks. This creamy yolk is perfect as a garnish and enhances the flavor of salads, pastas and even avocado on toast. Treat yourself to Parmesan, because this unusual egg yolk full of umami will take your taste buds on an extraordinary journey. Grate these rich and flavorful delights over your dishes and add a whole new level of deliciousness to your culinary creations. Don’t miss this delicious way to enjoy the incredible taste of salted egg yolks!
- 6 egg yolks
- fine salt
- Cover the bottom of a container with about 2 cm of fine salt (crunchy won’t work).
- Using the back of a tablespoon, make as many wells in the salt as there are egg yolks left to harden.
- Separate the egg yolks well so that no whites remain attached to them at all, and then carefully place them into the wells.
- Cover the eggs completely with more salt.
- Let rest in the refrigerator for eight hours or overnight.
- The next day, remove the yolk – it will have reached the consistency of a sticky gummy candy.
- Wash them under cold water, dry them gently on paper towels and marvel at how much they resemble dried apricots.
- Heat your oven to the lowest setting (60°C/fan 40°C/gas 1/4 is ideal) and dry the yolks on an oiled cooling rack for three hours, until dry and hard.
- Once the egg yolk has cooled, it can be finely grated.
- Amazingly, they will last up to 3 months in an airtight container in the fridge.
Equipment and tools
Here are the basic equipment and tools you need to make salted egg yolks:
- mixing bowl
- Container with lid for curing
- Deep frying pan
Please note the following allergy information for salted egg yolks:
- This recipe contains egg yolk. People with egg allergies should avoid consumption.
Storage and leftovers
Here’s what you need to know about storing and using leftover salted egg yolks:
- Store the cooked, salted egg yolks in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- They can be stored for up to 1 week.
- To reheat leftovers, you can pan-fry them or incorporate them into other dishes.
Health Benefits of Salted Egg Yolk
Salted egg yolk, made by soaking egg yolks in fine salt, has gained popularity in various cuisines due to its unique taste and texture. Salted egg yolk is not only a culinary delight but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s explore some of them:
- Rich in Protein: Egg yolks are a great source of protein and salting them can help preserve their protein content. Protein is essential for various body functions such as muscle building and repair, supporting the immune system, and maintaining healthy skin and hair.
- Essential vitamins and minerals: Salted egg yolks are rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin E and selenium. Vitamin B12 is important for red blood cell production and nerve function, while vitamin D promotes the absorption of calcium and supports bone health. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects cells from damage, and selenium plays a crucial role in immune system function.
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: Egg yolks naturally contain lutein and zeaxanthin, which are carotenoids that contribute to eye health. These compounds act as antioxidants and are thought to reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision loss in older adults.
- Choline: Salted egg yolk is an excellent source of choline, an essential nutrient for brain development and function. Choline plays an important role in memory, learning and muscle control. It also helps produce neurotransmitters that regulate mood and support a healthy nervous system.
- Absorption of nutrients: Moderate consumption of salted egg yolks can improve the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D, E and K. These vitamins require dietary fat to be effectively absorbed by the body, and the fat content in salted egg yolks can assist in this process.
- Alternative taste and texture: Salted egg yolks add a unique flavor and texture to dishes, making them an excellent alternative for anyone looking to enhance the flavor of their meals without using excessive salt or artificial flavors.
Although salted egg yolks offer a number of health benefits, it is important to consume them in moderation as their high sodium content may affect those with high blood pressure or other health problems. Still, including salted egg yolks in your diet can provide a nutritious and flavorful addition to your meals.