Treat your taste buds to a delicious culinary experience with our delicious Saffron Rice with Chicken and Peppers recipe. Enriched with the distinctive and aromatic taste of saffron, this dish not only pampers the senses but also offers tons of health benefits. Rest assured, because this super healthy rice dish is bursting with vitamin C and will boost your immune system with every delicious bite. Enjoy the mixture of tender chicken, strong peppers and fragrant saffron rice, creating a harmonious symphony of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
- Saffron, generous pinch
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 600g total weight), each cut into pieces
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- 100 ml dry white wine
- 125 ml light chicken broth
- 250g basmati rice
- 100g frozen peas (or fresh, cooked)
- Place the saffron in a small bowl and pour warm water over it.
- Press the strands with the back of a teaspoon to set the color and set aside while you prepare the rest.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy casserole dish and when hot add the chicken.
- Cook over high heat for a minute or two, stirring to seal in the juices, then set aside.
- Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs and sprinkle them into the pan along with the onions and garlic.
- Fry until golden brown and then add the lime juice.
- Reduce the heat slightly, add the pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes before adding the wine, stock and spices.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for 6 minutes, until the meat is tender and the liquid has reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice in a pot of rapidly boiling water until tender but slightly chewy.
- Drain in a colander and rinse with warm water.
- Pile over the chicken while it is still hot.
- Drizzle with the saffron and its soaking liquid and sprinkle over the peas.
- Don’t stir the chicken and rice at this point, instead cover and cook over low to moderate heat until the rice is fluffy and the liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons – about 3 minutes.
- Before serving, gently mix the saffron rice with the chicken and pepper mixture.
Equipment and tools
To make this recipe for saffron rice with chicken and peppers, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- Large frying pan or frying pan
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Small bowl
- Medium-sized pot with lid
This chicken and pepper saffron rice recipe contains the following allergens:
Please be aware of these allergens if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this saffron rice, chicken and pepper dish, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best to consume leftovers within 2-3 days.
To reheat leftovers, you can use the microwave or heat them in a pan on the stove. Be sure to heat them thoroughly until piping hot before serving.
Health Benefits of Saffron Rice with Chicken and Peppers
Saffron rice with chicken and peppers is not only a flavorful and delicious dish, but it also offers a number of health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients. Let’s explore the different ways this dish can boost your well-being.
Saffron, known as “red gold,” is a spice extracted from the flower of Crocus sativus. Not only does it provide a bright yellow color, but it also offers several health benefits. Rich in antioxidants, saffron can help protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce inflammation. In addition, saffron is used in traditional medicine to improve digestion and mood, as well as to improve memory and cognition.
The boneless, skinless chicken breast in this recipe provides a lean source of protein that is essential for building and repairing tissues, including muscles, skin, and bones. Chicken is also rich in essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6 and niacin, which support brain health and aid energy production. Additionally, the absence of skin reduces the fat content, making it a healthier option.
The addition of red pepper not only adds a touch of color and flavor to the dish, but also contributes to its nutritional profile. Red peppers are rich in vitamin C, which plays an important role in supporting the immune system and promoting healthy skin. They are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight.
Onions and garlic
Onions and garlic are common ingredients in many cuisines, and for good reason. Both aromatic vegetables offer numerous health benefits. Onions are rich in antioxidants and contain a compound called quercetin, which can help reduce inflammation and blood pressure. Garlic, on the other hand, has antimicrobial properties and may contribute to heart health by improving cholesterol levels and lowering blood pressure.
Basmati rice and peas
Basmati rice, a fragrant long-grain rice, is a healthier alternative to refined white rice. It has a lower glycemic index, meaning it releases sugar into the bloodstream more slowly, keeping blood sugar levels stable. The addition of peas provides texture and nutritional value. Peas are a good source of vitamins A, C and K and also contain fiber, which supports healthy digestion.
Saffron rice with chicken and peppers is a nutritious and tasty dish that offers various health benefits. From the antioxidant properties of saffron to the lean protein in chicken to the abundant vitamins and minerals in peppers, onions, garlic and peas, this recipe is a balanced meal that supports overall wellness. Incorporate this dish into your diet to enjoy its delicious taste while providing your body with the nutrients it needs.