This vegetarian soup contains lots of vegetables and lentils, making it an extremely nutritious option. Not only is it healthy and low in fat, but it also delivers a delicious burst of flavor. The combination of fresh vegetables and lentils creates a comforting meal that warms your soul. If you want a heartier version, you can add borlotti beans or chicken to improve the texture and depth of this rustic vegetable soup. A truly healthy choice that will leave you satisfied and nourished.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 50g dried red lentils
- 1½ l boiling vegetable broth (we used marigold)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 175g bite-sized cauliflower florets
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ large savoy cabbage, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan with a lid.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to color around the edges.
- Stir in the lentils and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the hot stock, add the tomato puree and thyme and stir well.
- Add the leek, cauliflower, zucchini and garlic, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and basil and cook for another 5 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Season with pepper, pour into bowls and serve.
- Stored in the fridge for a few days.
- Freezes well.
- Allow to thaw and then reheat in a pan until piping hot.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this rustic vegetable soup you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A large soup pot
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- A wooden spoon
- A blender (optional)
Before proceeding with this recipe, please note the following allergen information:
- This soup contains lentils and may not be suitable for those with legume allergies.
- If you have gluten intolerance, make sure that the vegetable broth you use does not contain any gluten-containing ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you still have leftovers of this delicious, rustic vegetable soup, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the soup to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container.
- Store the soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To reheat, simply heat desired portion on the stove or in the microwave until piping hot.
- Please note that the consistency of the soup may change slightly when reheated, but it will still be edible.
Health Benefits of Rustic Vegetable Soup
Health Benefits of Rustic Vegetable Soup
Rustic vegetable soup is not only a delicious and hearty dish, but is also full of health benefits. This soup is not only a comfort during the cold winter months, but also a nutritious meal that can contribute to your overall well-being.
1. Rich in antioxidants
The diverse selection of vegetables used in this soup provides a powerful dose of antioxidants. Onions, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, garlic and savoy cabbage are rich in antioxidants that protect the body from oxidative stress and prevent damage from harmful free radicals.
2. Rich in fiber
The use of lentils, which are an excellent source of fiber, adds to the health benefits of this soup. Fiber supports digestion, promotes healthy bowel movements and can help regulate blood sugar levels. Eating a high-fiber diet is also associated with a lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
3. Immune-boosting properties
The combination of fresh thyme, leek and basil in this soup provides natural immune-boosting properties. These herbs contain vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that support the immune system and help fight off illness and infection.
4. Promotes healthy weight control
Rustic vegetable soup is a low-calorie and nutrient-dense meal, making it suitable for people who want to control their weight. The high fiber content in the soup promotes satiety and reduces the likelihood of overeating. Additionally, the soup’s combination of vegetables provides essential vitamins and minerals while keeping the calorie count under control.
5. Supports heart health
This vegetable soup contains heart-healthy ingredients like canola oil, which is a good source of monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats have been shown to improve cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Additionally, the abundance of vegetables in this soup contribute to its heart-protective properties by providing important nutrients like potassium and antioxidants.
Enjoy the health benefits of rustic vegetable soup by incorporating this easy-to-prepare and nutritious recipe into your regular meal rotation.