Packed with rice, tender chicken pieces, aromatic mushrooms and a creamy sauce, these delicious Russian chicken and mushroom pies are a true culinary gem. This recipe offers a perfect solution to use up your leftovers and transform them into a delicious and filling dish.
The combination of ingredients creates a harmonious blend of flavors that takes you straight into Russia’s rich culinary heritage. With the addition of sour cream and dill, every bite becomes a moment of pure enjoyment that leaves you wanting more.
Whether you’re a fan of Russian cuisine or just looking for a filling and comforting meal, these cakes are a fantastic choice. Just imagine the smell wafting out of the oven as this golden puff pastry bakes to perfection. Get ready for a homemade, Russian-inspired culinary adventure!
- 125g long grain rice
- 50g butter
- 250 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 175g oyster mushrooms
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 300 ml milk
- 425g cooked chicken
- Juice ½ lemon
- 150 ml pot of sour cream
- Packet of dill, finely chopped
- 375g package of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk for glazing
To bake a big cake
large bowl, approximately
26 x 22cm and
6cm deep, with
the rice and
Bake as before.Di says…
“Since these cakes contain both rice and pastry,
a green salad or some butterwort
anything you want from them. Use turkey instead
Chicken if you like. They can be frozen
(if made with fresh dough), but do not glaze
the cakes until just before baking.’
- Cook the rice in enough water to just cover it until the rice is al dente and the liquid has been absorbed – about 10 minutes. Season and then set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and then add the butter. Once melted, fry the mushrooms and onion until golden brown. Season, add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, tossing the vegetables in it. Now take the pot off the heat and gradually add the milk. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated before adding more. Once the sauce is ready, return the pan to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly as the sauce thickens. Season well and let the sauce simmer to cook the flour. Stir in the cooked chicken and add lemon juice, sour cream and dill.
- Spread the rice into the bottom of six buttered individual cake pans, then top with the meat and sauce. Allow to cool slightly. Roll out the dough a little and cut it to fit your dish, then place it on top and press the dough into place. Cut off the excess. You can finish the pie crust by forming a long strip of dough from the scraps and twisting it like a rope. Moisten the edges of the pies with water and then press the dough strand. Otherwise, just curl the edges.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas. 6. Make three slits in the center of the pies and then brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.
Equipment and tools
- Baking dish (approx. 26 x 22 cm and 6 cm deep)
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, milk, sour cream)
- Gluten (flour, puff pastry)
- eggs (yolk)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
Health Benefits of Russian Chicken and Mushroom Pies
Health benefits of Russian chicken and mushroom pies with sour cream and dill
When it comes to good food, nothing beats a warm and savory cake. The recipe for Russian chicken and mushroom pies with sour cream and dill offers not only delicious taste, but also several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritious ingredients used in this delicious dish:
Mushrooms contain a wealth of nutrients and are a fantastic addition to any diet. Both regular mushrooms and oyster mushrooms are used in this recipe. Mushrooms are low in calories and fat and rich in important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are an excellent source of B vitamins, potassium and selenium, which are vital for a healthy immune system and overall well-being.
Lean cooked chicken is a lean source of protein that provides essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth, repair and maintenance. It is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6 and niacin, which are necessary for energy production and brain health. Additionally, chicken is low in saturated fat, making it a healthier choice compared to red meat.
The long grain rice used in this recipe is a good source of carbohydrates, which are essential for providing energy to our body. It is also gluten-free and easy to digest. Rice contains fiber and several important minerals such as magnesium and selenium, which play a role in maintaining heart health and supporting a healthy metabolism.
4. Sour cream
The addition of sour cream not only gives the pies a tangy, creamy taste, but also offers some health benefits. Sour cream contains less fat compared to regular cream and may contain probiotics that support gut health. It is a good source of calcium, which is crucial for strong bones and teeth.
Using dill in this recipe not only adds a burst of flavor but also offers several health benefits. Dill is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin A, which promote a strong immune system and help protect against oxidative stress. It is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and may aid digestion.
With the combination of healthy ingredients, these Russian Chicken and Mushroom Pies provide a balanced meal that satisfies both the palate and nutritional needs. Whether enjoyed on its own or with a side of green salad or butterwort, this recipe is a delicious choice for any occasion.
Remember, if you decide to freeze these cakes, make sure they are made with fresh pastry and avoid frosting them until just before baking for the best results.
Enjoy the soothing flavors and nourishing benefits of Russian Chicken and Mushroom Pies with Sour Cream and Dill!