Treat your taste buds to our irresistible rum raisin puddings. These delicious standalone desserts are not for the faint of heart. Each delicious bite combines the rich flavors of rum-soaked raisins with a moist and spongy texture. These cheeky treats are sure to satisfy your sweet cravings. Be warned though – they’re so delicious you could find yourself in a fight for seconds! Prepare plenty of these sinful delicacies to ensure peace and harmony at the dinner table. Nobody will be able to resist her tempting charm. Get ready for a truly heavenly dessert experience!
- 200g dates
- 225 ml hot milk
- 200g raisins
- 100 ml rum
- 150 ml sunflower oil, plus some for greasing
- 3 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 250g self-raising flour
- 175g soft light muscovado sugar
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- 140g salted butter
- 140g soft light muscovado sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 50 ml rum
- 50g raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Mix the dates with the hot milk and let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Mix the raisins with the rum and do the same.
- Grease 9 dariole or small pudding molds and place them in a deep roasting pan or baking dish.
- Put the kettle on.
- Blend dates and milk in a food processor until a smooth puree forms.
- Place the puree in a large bowl.
- Mix the puree with oil and eggs.
- Stir in baking soda, flour and sugar.
- Fold in the rum-soaked raisins and the rum remaining in the bowl.
- Divide the mixture among the darioles.
- Carefully pour boiling water into the can or bowl so that it comes two-thirds to halfway up the edge of the darioles.
- Bake on a low rack in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Use a skewer to check whether the puddings are done, then remove them and let them cool slightly.
- For the sauce, melt butter, sugar and cream.
- Increase the heat until bubbles form and a smooth, glossy sauce forms.
- Stir in rum and raisins and let cool.
- Turn the pudding out of the molds and first scrape along the edges with a dull cutlery knife.
- Arrange the pudding in a shallow baking dish and cover with cling film.
- Store the pudding and sauce in a cool place for up to 24 hours.
- To serve, drizzle some sauce and raisins over each pudding.
- Pour the rest of the sauce around the puddings.
- Cover the entire mold with a tent of foil.
- When Christmas dinner is ready, turn the oven down to 120°C/100°C fan/gas ¼.
- Heat the pudding until hot, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with crème fraîche.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- Casserole dish or individual pudding dishes
- wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Milk (in butter, cream and crème fraîche)
Please be sure to check the labels of the ingredients used as they may vary.
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, these rum raisin puddings can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in the oven or microwave until warm. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month. To freeze, let them cool completely and then wrap them individually in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe container. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Health Benefits of Rum and Raisin Pudding
Not only will rum raisin pudding satisfy your sweet tooth, but it also offers a number of potential health benefits. By incorporating healthy ingredients such as dates, raisins and self-raising flour, these puddings offer a delicious treat that can positively contribute to your well-being. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits that can come from enjoying rum raisin pudding.
1. Rich in essential nutrients
Dates and raisins are packed with essential nutrients that support overall health and can provide an energy boost. Dates are a good source of fiber, potassium, iron and antioxidants, which have positive effects on digestion, bone health and fighting free radicals in the body. Raisins, on the other hand, are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals such as iron and potassium, promote heart health and aid digestion.
2. Increased energy levels
The combination of dates, raisins and rum in this recipe can provide a quick energy boost. The natural sugars in dates and raisins are easily digestible and provide a sustainable source of energy. Additionally, rum contains carbohydrates that can be converted into energy, making it a suitable ingredient for anyone looking for a little pick-me-up.
3. Heart-healthy ingredients
Both raisins and rum are associated with positive effects on heart health. Raisins are a good source of fiber and potassium and are known to help lower blood pressure. Likewise, moderate rum consumption has been linked to a lower risk of heart disease. However, it is important to note that excessive alcohol consumption can have negative effects, so moderation is key.
4. Antioxidant properties
Raisins, dates and rum also have antioxidant properties that can protect the body from oxidative stress and free radical damage. Antioxidants are known to support cellular health, strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic disease.
5. Possible Bone Health Benefits
Both dates and raisins contain minerals such as potassium and calcium, which are essential for maintaining healthy bones and preventing diseases such as osteoporosis. Eating foods rich in these minerals, such as dates and raisins, can contribute to optimal bone health.
It’s important to note that while these puddings offer potential health benefits, they should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Additionally, individuals with special dietary restrictions or health conditions should consult a doctor before incorporating rum raisin pudding into their diet.