Treat yourself to a touch of decadence with our irresistible recipe for rum babas with poached pineapple and vanilla ice cream. Perfectly combining the richness of rum-soaked sponge cake, the tropical sweetness of poached pineapple and the creamy elegance of vanilla ice cream, this restaurant-style pudding is sure to impress your guests.
Not only is this dessert a show-stopper, but it also offers the option of making it in advance, so you can have an effortless, relaxing end to your dinner party. Just follow our easy-to-follow instructions and in no time you’ll be enjoying the heavenly flavor combination that’ll leave everyone wanting more.
- 75 ml milk
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 tsp dry yeast
- 175g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 50g butter, melted and cooled, plus a little butter for greasing
- 4 star anise
- 4 bay leaves
- 20 coriander seeds
- 500g powdered sugar
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cut into rings and cored
- 250ml golden rum, plus extra for serving
- 50 g butter (optional)
- black pepper (optional)
- 400 ml cream
- 50g powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds only
- Heat the milk carefully.
- Allow the milk to cool slightly so that it is lukewarm.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar to the yeast.
- Pour the warmed milk into the yeast mixture.
- Let the mixture stand for a few minutes until it becomes foamy.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, remaining sugar and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Pour the yeast mixture, eggs, and melted butter into the bowl.
- Mix the ingredients until the dough becomes smooth and shiny.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Dust 6 dariole molds or small metal pudding molds with butter and flour.
- Knead the dough and form 6 small balls with your fingers.
- Place 1 ball in each mold.
- Let the dough rise again until it starts to rise over the molds. This should take about 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the molds on a baking sheet.
- Cook the babas in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Let the babas cool for a few minutes and then carefully loosen them from the edge with a small sharp knife.
- Turn the babas onto a wire rack and let cool.
- For the poached pineapple, place star anise, bay leaves, coriander seeds and sugar in a large pot with 1 liter of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, add the pineapple and cook for 20 minutes.
- Let the pineapple cool for 5 minutes, then remove it from the syrup and set it aside.
- Add rum to the syrup and let cool. This can be done up to a day in advance.
- For the vanilla cream, beat the cream with the powdered sugar and vanilla seeds until soft peaks form.
- Set the cream aside and chill until ready to use.
- Halve the babas and soak them in the rum syrup until they are soaked.
- Serve the babas with the pineapple cut into pieces and a dollop of cream.
- Additional syrup can be provided for everyone to drizzle over the dessert.
- Optional: If necessary, heat 50g butter in a frying pan until brown.
- Fry the pineapple rings until golden brown on both sides.
- Grind some black pepper over the cooked pineapple before serving as directed above.
Equipment and tools
To make rum babas with poached pineapple and vanilla ice cream, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- Big pot
- frying pan
- Pastry brush
- Ice cream maker (optional)
- plastic wrap
- Plates and bowls for serving
Please note that the Rum Babas with Poached Pineapple and Vanilla Ice Cream recipe may contain the following allergens:
Be sure to check the labels of all ingredients to ensure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from your rum babas with poached pineapple and vanilla ice cream, you can store them as follows:
- Place the leftovers in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To serve the leftovers, you can warm the rum babas in the oven or enjoy them chilled. The pineapple vanilla ice cream can be served straight away.
Health Benefits of Rum Babas with Poached Pineapple and Vanilla Ice Cream
Rum Babas with Poached Pineapple and Vanilla Ice Cream is a delicious and indulgent dessert that combines the rich flavors of rum, pineapple and vanilla. Although it may be tempting to think of this dessert as a pure indulgence, it actually offers several health benefits thanks to its ingredients.
Pineapple is the main ingredient of this dessert and brings numerous health benefits. This tropical fruit is a great source of vitamin C, which plays an important role in supporting a healthy immune system. It also contains bromelain, a blend of enzymes that can aid digestion and reduce inflammation. In addition, pineapple is rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from oxidative stress and cell damage.
While rum is often associated with relaxation and indulgence, it can also offer some surprising health benefits. Moderate rum consumption is associated with improved heart health because it can increase HDL (good) cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of blood clots. Rum is also known for its antimicrobial properties, which can help fight certain types of bacteria.
The vanilla ice cream used in this dessert not only adds a creamy and sweet touch but also offers some health benefits. Vanilla contains antioxidants that can protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce inflammation. It is also associated with improved mental health as its aroma can have a calming effect and reduce anxiety.
Coriander seeds are an interesting addition to poached pineapple. These seeds not only impart a unique flavor but are also full of nutrients. They are a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes healthy bowel movements. Coriander seeds are also rich in antioxidants and have shown potential anti-inflammatory properties.
The creamy vanilla ice cream that goes well with the rum babas is made from double cream. Although this ingredient is high in calories and fat, it also provides important nutrients. Double cream is a rich source of vitamins A, D, E and K, fat-soluble vitamins necessary for various body functions. It also contains healthy fats that contribute to satiety and, when consumed in moderation, can help maintain a healthy weight.
Overall, rum babas with poached pineapple and vanilla ice cream may be a decadent dessert, but it also offers several health benefits thanks to its nutritious ingredients. From the vitamin C-rich pineapple to the antioxidant properties of vanilla and coriander seeds, this dessert can be enjoyed in moderation without feeling guilty.