This rosy quince and cranberry jelly recipe is a delicious addition to your festive feast. With its spicy taste, it goes perfectly with your Christmas turkey, pork pie, ham or cheese plate. Its versatility makes it the ideal choice for any occasion. In addition, it can also be packaged as a lovely gift for your loved ones. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. Enjoy the flavor explosion that this jelly brings to your Christmas party!
- 4 large quinces, roughly chopped
- 450g Bramley apples, roughly chopped – don’t worry about coring
- 450g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1kg bag of preserving sugar (without added pectin)
- 1 tsp rose water
- a few small, fresh bay leaves, to decorate the glasses (optional)
Sterilize your jars
Once your jelly is ready, preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 4 and wash your jars in hot, soapy water. Turn over, still moist, onto a baking tray and leave to rest in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then fill while still warm.
- Place quinces, apples and cranberries in a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the fruit cook more gently for about 1 hour, until the fruit is really soft.
- Hang a rubber bag over a large mixing bowl.
- Add the fruit and let it drain overnight.
- Don’t be tempted to squeeze the bag or the pulp will come through and your jelly will be cloudy.
- The next day, measure the amount of juice you have.
- Mix 1 ml of liquid with one gram of sugar.
- Put both in a preserving pot or a large pot.
- Slowly bring to the boil while stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once the sugar has disappeared, increase the heat and cook until the temperature reaches 110°C on a candy thermometer.
- Remove any foam from the surface of the liquid.
- Stir in rose water.
- Pour into sterilized jars and add a bay leaf to each if desired.
- Cover with lids or wax disks, cellophane and rubber bands.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- Sharp knife
- wooden spoon
- measuring spoon
- Jelly bag or muslin cloth
- Heat-resistant gloves or oven mitts
This recipe contains no allergenic ingredients. However, please note that cross-contamination may occur if you have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients. Always check the labels of the products you use to ensure they are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
Store the rose quince and cranberry jelly in sterilized jars in a cool, dark place. It has a shelf life of up to 1 year. After opening, store in the refrigerator and use within one month.
If you have leftovers, you can use the jelly as a spread on toast or scones, or mix it into yogurt and desserts for added flavor. It can also be used as a glaze for roasted meats or added to sauces and dressings to add a sweet touch.
Remember to always use a clean spoon or knife when removing the jelly from the jar to avoid contamination and extend its shelf life.
Health Benefits of Rose Quince and Cranberry Jelly
Quince and cranberries are the main ingredients in this delicious jelly and offer numerous health benefits. In combination with apples and sugar, this jelly not only tastes great, but also provides numerous nutrients that have a positive effect on your well-being. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits of this rose quince and cranberry jelly.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Cranberries are known for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants help protect our cells from damage caused by free radicals, which are harmful molecules that contribute to various health problems. Quinces are also antioxidant-rich fruits that can boost your immune system and fight inflammation.
2. Good for digestion
Both quinces and apples are excellent sources of fiber. Consuming an adequate amount of fiber can promote healthy digestion and prevent constipation. Including this jelly in your diet is a delicious way to increase your fiber intake.
3. Supports heart health
This jelly contains Bramley apples, known for their high levels of vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that helps protect our blood vessels, while potassium helps regulate blood pressure. Including this jelly in your diet can contribute to a heart-healthy diet.
4. Immune-boosting properties
The combination of cranberries and quince in this jelly provides an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its immune-boosting properties as it plays an important role in supporting our immune system and fighting off infections. Adding this jelly to your meals can give your immune system a much-needed boost.
5. Low added sugar
Although this jelly contains preserving sugar, there is no added pectin. This means you can enjoy the sweetness without worrying about too much added sugar. It can be a healthier alternative to store-bought jams and jellies, which often contain high levels of added sugar.
With its combination of antioxidant-rich fruits and immune-boosting properties, this Rosy Quince & Cranberry Jelly is not only a delicious treat, but also a healthy addition to your diet. So why not try this recipe and enjoy both the amazing flavors and the numerous health benefits it offers?