Treat yourself to the heavenly combination of distinctive Roquefort cheese and crunchy walnuts with these delicious rolls inspired by the legendary Paul Hollywood, esteemed judge of the Great British Bake Off. Full of flavor and with a perfect crust, these rolls are a tasteful departure from the usual. From the first bite, you’ll be enchanted by the rich and spicy notes of Roquefort, enhanced by the earthy crunch of walnuts. Perfect for any occasion, these rolls are a delicious treat that will impress your friends and family. So why wait? Delight your taste buds with this sensational recipe today!
- 140g walnuts
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 400g strong white bread flour
- 14g bag of rapid yeast
- 25g butter
- 250g Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Put the walnuts in a food processor and chop them finely. leave aside.
- Place flour, 10g salt, yeast, butter and 300ml water in a bowl, stir and stir the ingredients for a minute.
- If the mixture seems dry, add more water a tablespoon at a time to make a soft but not sticky dough, then knead in the bowl for a few more minutes to combine the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead well for 10 minutes before returning it to the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Knead the walnuts briefly into the dough and then let them rise in the bowl for another 20 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out into a rectangle approx. 50 x 20 cm and 1 cm thick.
- Sprinkle the Roquefort evenly over the dough and press down lightly.
- Lay the rectangle widthwise in front of you and roll up the rectangle like a jelly roll.
- Cut into 8 equal pieces and place cut side down on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover with cling film and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Brush each round of dough with the beaten egg and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes and eat while still warm.
- These taste delicious on their own or are served with soup or a large salad with apples.
Equipment and tools
To make Roquefort and walnut rolls you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Measurement scales
- rolling pin
- Bread knife
- Pastry brush
This recipe for Roquefort walnut rolls contains the following allergens:
- Whole wheat flour
- white bread flour
- Roquefort cheese
Please make sure you are aware of any allergies or dietary restrictions before consuming this recipe.
Storage and leftovers
To store the Roquefort and walnut rolls, follow the following guidelines:
- Allow the rolls to cool completely before storing.
- Place the rolls in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- If necessary, you can freeze the rolls for longer storage. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil or place them in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To thaw frozen rolls, remove them from the freezer and let them thaw at room temperature.
To enjoy leftovers:
- Heat the rolls in the preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Health benefits of Roquefort and walnut rolls
Roquefort and walnut rolls not only delight your taste buds, but also offer numerous health benefits. Let’s dive into the nutritional benefits these delicious rolls bring to the table.
1. Walnuts for heart health
Walnuts, a key ingredient in Roquefort and walnut rolls, are packed with heart-healthy nutrients. They are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease. Additionally, walnuts are rich in antioxidants, vitamin E, and plant sterols, all of which help maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.
2. Whole wheat flour for fiber
With the addition of wholemeal flour, these rolls add a good portion of fiber to your meal. Fiber plays a crucial role in digestion and can help prevent constipation. It also helps stabilize blood sugar levels and promotes satiety, which can be helpful in weight control.
3. Roquefort cheese for bone health
Roquefort cheese not only gives the rolls a wonderfully tangy taste, but also provides important nutrients for maintaining healthy bones. It is a rich source of calcium, which is crucial for bone strength and structure. In addition, Roquefort contains several other minerals such as phosphorus and magnesium, which are necessary for maintaining optimal bone health.
4. Eggs for protein
Using eggs in this recipe gives the rolls a good amount of protein. Protein is essential for various body functions, including building and repairing tissue, producing enzymes, and supporting the immune system. Ingesting protein-rich foods like eggs can also help you feel full and prevent overeating.
5. Butter for flavor
Although butter is used in these rolls primarily for its rich flavor, it also contributes to the overall nutritional profile. Butter contains essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamins A and E. However, due to its high saturated fat content, it is important to consume butter in moderation.
Roquefort and walnut rolls are not only a delicious treat for your taste buds but also offer several health benefits. Including walnuts, whole wheat flour, Roquefort cheese, eggs and butter in this recipe adds important nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, calcium and protein. So enjoy these rolls guilt-free while nourishing your body with a variety of healthy ingredients!