This delicious Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Grilled Halloumi recipe is a colorful and nutritious option for any meal. The combination of rich roasted beetroot, pumpkin and red onion gives it a beautiful appearance, while the flavors are equally impressive. Plus, it’s a fantastic way to include three servings of the recommended five fruits and vegetables per day in your diet. The addition of cheese and grains makes this salad not only visually appealing, but also incredibly filling. Try it and enjoy a healthy and tasty dish!
- 1 bunch of raw beets (4 large ones), peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into pieces the same size as the beetroot
- 4 red onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g quinoa, rinsed
- 1l vegetable broth
- 2 x 250g packs of halloumi, each block cut into 6 slices
- 1 garlic bulb
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp clear honey
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Place the beets, pumpkin and red onion in a large roasting pan.
- Cut off the top of the garlic bulb (the garlic will be used in the dressing) and drizzle it with a little olive oil before wrapping it in foil and placing it in the tin.
- Season the vegetables and pour over the remaining oil.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning the vegetables halfway through.
- Meanwhile, place quinoa and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the quinoa and return it to the pan, remove from the heat.
- When the vegetables are roasted, set the garlic bulb aside and stir the remaining vegetables into the quinoa.
- To make the dressing, gently squeeze the roasted garlic from the bulb and place it in a small bowl.
- Add lemon juice, oil, honey and spices to the bowl and mix.
- Place a grill pan over high heat.
- When it’s really hot, add the halloumi and grill for 45-60 seconds on both sides (you may need to do this in batches).
- Divide the quinoa and vegetables onto plates.
- Top with halloumi and dressing.
Equipment and tools
- grill pan
- Garlic press
Contains: Dairy products (Halloumi)
Storage and leftovers
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up before serving or enjoy cold as a salad.
Health Benefits of Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Grilled Halloumi
Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Grilled Halloumi is a delicious and healthy dish that offers numerous benefits for your overall well-being. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this salad provides a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can support your immune system, improve digestion, and promote a healthy heart. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of each ingredient:
Beets are known for their vibrant color and numerous health benefits. It is an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut. Additionally, it contains nitrates, which can help lower blood pressure and improve exercise performance. The antioxidants in beets, such as betalains, also have anti-inflammatory properties that may protect against chronic diseases.
2. Butternut squash
Butternut squash is a nutrient-dense vegetable full of vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining healthy skin and vision, while vitamin C supports immune function and collagen production. Butternut squash’s fiber content promotes healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation.
3. Red onions
Red onions not only add flavor to this salad, but also have positive health effects. They contain antioxidants called flavonoids, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain cancers. Red onions are also a good source of fiber and vitamin C.
Quinoa is a gluten-free grain that is full of protein and essential nutrients. It is a complete source of protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. This makes quinoa an excellent choice for a plant-based diet. In addition, it is rich in fiber, which aids digestion, promotes satiety and helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Halloumi, a semi-hard cheese, adds a delicious and hearty touch to this salad. Although it contains more sodium and saturated fat compared to other cheeses, it is a good source of calcium and protein. Calcium is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while protein supports muscle growth and repair.
Garlic not only enhances the flavor of this dish but also provides several health benefits. It has been used for centuries for its potential immune-boosting and antibacterial properties. Garlic is also rich in antioxidants, which may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
7. Lemon juice or white wine vinegar
Lemon juice or white wine vinegar not only gives the salad dressing a tangy taste, but also offers health benefits. Both ingredients are acidic and can aid digestion by stimulating the production of digestive enzymes. Additionally, lemon juice is an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports immune function and collagen synthesis.
8. Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil is a healthy fat rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants. It has been linked to numerous health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease, improved brain function, and reduced inflammation in the body. Olive oil is also a good source of vitamin E, which acts as a powerful antioxidant.
9. Clear honey
Clear honey is a natural sweetener that not only adds a touch of sweetness to the dressing but also offers some health benefits. It contains antioxidants and has antibacterial properties that can support overall health. However, due to its high sugar content, it is important to consume honey in moderation.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Grilled Halloumi becomes a rich and well-rounded dish that can contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy its tempting aromas while benefiting from the numerous health benefits it has to offer!