Treat yourself to a delicious Italian pasta experience with our delicious Roasted Squash, Shallot, Spinach and Ricotta Pasta recipe. Crafted specifically for your palate, this dish combines your favorite whole-wheat pasta shapes with the flavorful combination of roasted butternut squash, shallots, spinach, and creamy Italian ricotta cheese.
Prepare to savor every bite of this hearty, nutritious meal that effortlessly combines the rich creaminess of cheese with the natural sweetness of roasted pumpkin. The addition of shallots and spinach gives this unforgettable pasta creation a satisfying texture and depth of flavor.
No matter the occasion, this soothing culinary creation promises to delight both your senses and your stomach, making it the perfect dish for cozy family dinners or for impressing your guests with a taste of Italian cuisine. Enjoy a plate of this delicious masterpiece and level up your pasta game today!
- 1 butternut squash (approx. 800 g), peeled and diced
- 4 banana shallots, quartered lengthways (roots intact)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g wholemeal pasta shapes
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- 6 tbsp ricotta
- 4 sage leaves, very finely chopped
- Zest and squeeze 1 lemon
- a few grated fresh nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the pumpkin and shallots in a large roasting pan.
- Add oil, season and roast for 40 minutes, stirring once.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package instructions, reserving a few tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Place the spinach in a large colander and pour boiling water over it to wilt.
- Allow to cool slightly and then squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- Place in a bowl with two-thirds of the ricotta, sage, lemon juice and zest, nutmeg and spices and stir.
- Then add the ricotta mixture to the hot, drained pasta.
- Stir and add a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Mix most of the roasted vegetables with the pasta.
- Divide between bowls, sprinkle with the remaining ricotta and scatter over the remaining vegetable pieces.
Equipment and tools
To make this Roasted Pumpkin, Shallot, Spinach, and Ricotta Pasta recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Peeler for peeling and dicing butternut squash
- Knife for quartering shallots
- Baking tray for roasting pumpkin and shallots
- Tablespoon for measuring olive oil
- Pot for cooking pasta
- Colander for draining cooked pasta
- Pot for wilting spinach
- Wooden spoon for stirring spinach
- Grater for grating fresh nutmeg
- Zester for zesting lemons
- Juicer for extracting lemon juice
This roasted pumpkin, shallot, spinach and ricotta pasta recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten from whole wheat pasta
- Ricotta cheese dairy
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover of these Roasted Pumpkin, Shallot, Spinach, and Ricotta Pasta, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It is best to consume leftovers within 2-3 days. Before reheating, you may need to add a little water or olive oil to restore the moisture to the pasta.
Health Benefits of Roasted Pumpkin, Shallot, Spinach and Ricotta Pasta
Roasted Pumpkin, Shallot, Spinach, and Ricotta Pasta is not only a delicious and comforting dish, but also a nutritious choice for a filling meal. Packed with healthy ingredients, this recipe offers a range of health benefits that contribute to overall well-being.
1. Butternut Squash: A Nutritional Powerhouse
The main ingredient of this pasta dish is butternut squash, which is rich in essential nutrients. It is particularly rich in vitamin A and provides over 450% of the recommended daily dose per serving. Vitamin A plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy vision, supporting the immune system, and promoting cell growth and development.
In addition, butternut squash contains significant amounts of vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant and strengthens the immune system. It is also a good source of fiber, potassium and manganese.
2. Banana Shallots: A flavorful and nutrient-dense addition
The roasted banana shallots not only give the noodles an intense flavor, but also provide their own nutritional benefits. Shallots belong to the Allium vegetable family and are known for their potential health-promoting properties.
Shallots are a rich source of antioxidants, including flavonols and phenolic compounds, which protect the body against chronic diseases. They also provide vitamins C and A as well as minerals such as potassium and manganese.
3. Baby Spinach Leaves: A leafy green nutritional boost
Incorporating baby spinach leaves into this pasta dish provides a nutritional boost. Spinach is low in calories but full of beneficial nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, as well as folic acid and iron.
Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone health, while iron is essential for transporting oxygen throughout the body. The high folate content in spinach also contributes to healthy cell division and DNA synthesis.
4. Ricotta: A creamy source of protein and calcium
Adding ricotta cheese to this pasta recipe not only adds creaminess, but is also a good source of protein and calcium. Protein is essential for supporting muscle growth and repair as well as maintaining a healthy immune system.
Calcium, on the other hand, is crucial for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth. It also plays a role in muscle contractions and nerve function.
5. Sage and lemon: taste and beneficial improvement
The finely chopped sage leaves as well as the zest and juice of a lemon give this pasta dish a special flavor. In addition to their flavor-enhancing properties, they also offer potential health benefits.
Sage contains various bioactive compounds that may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Lemon is an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system and promotes healthy skin.
Enjoy a nutritious meal
By preparing and enjoying this roasted pumpkin, shallot, spinach and ricotta pasta, you can enjoy a flavorful and filling meal while reaping the numerous health benefits it offers. From vitamins and minerals to antioxidants and fiber, this dish contains a range of nutrients that contribute to a balanced diet.