On this page you will find a delicious recipe for roasted pheasant with fino and porcini mushrooms. With the perfect combination of flavors and textures, this dish is sure to impress your taste buds. Enjoy juicy pheasant paired with the earthy tones of porcini mushrooms, rounded off by the delicious addition of fino sherry.
However, it should be noted that this recipe contains pork and is therefore only suitable for non-Muslims. If you are looking for a recipe that meets specific dietary restrictions, please explore our other delicious options that cover a variety of needs.
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 x 800 g pheasants, tied
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil or olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 30g unsalted butter
- 6 juniper berries, crushed
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
- 10 small round shallots, peeled and cleaned
- 1 tbsp flour
- 200 ml fino sherry
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 300g seedless red grapes
- 150 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in 100ml boiling water for 10 minutes until soft, then drain and reserve the mushroom stock.
- Cover each pheasant with four overlapping slices of ham and tie each with a piece of string.
- Heat the oil in a high-sided, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the pheasants all over and brown them individually in the pan. Start with the breast side and brown it for a few minutes. Then turn them until they are golden brown all over. This should take about 8 minutes.
- Tuck the bay leaves into their cavities, then place them in one large or two medium-sized ovenproof baking dishes with lids.
- Leave the pan on the stove, reduce the heat and add the butter.
- When melted, add juniper berries, thyme and shallots and season.
- Fry gently for 5-10 minutes until the shallots are golden brown.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Then increase the heat and pour in the sherry. Scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any crusts.
- Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock and mushroom water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by a third, then pour into the baking dish with the pheasants.
- Cover the casserole tightly with foil and place the lid on the foil.
- Roast the pheasants in the oven for 20 minutes, then cover the pot and return them to the oven for another 15-20 minutes or until cooked through (a little pink is fine).
- Remove the pheasants to a platter, cover with foil, and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- While the pheasants are resting, add the grapes, porcini mushrooms and cream to the stock in the pot and cook over a gentle heat for 10-15 minutes (if your pot is not fireproof, put the pan juices in a pot instead).
- While cooking, cut the breasts and legs off the birds, place in a roasting pan and cover with foil.
- Just before serving, put it back in the oven at 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2 for 3 minutes to heat through.
- Serve the meat with a generous spoonful of sauce and the side dishes.
Equipment and tools
- Traverse cord
- frying pan
- Basting brush
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, cream)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Warm up thoroughly before consumption. Alternatively, you can freeze the leftovers for up to 3 months. Make sure you thaw them in the fridge overnight before reheating them.
Health Benefits of Roasted Pheasant with Fino and Porcini Mushrooms
When it comes to preparing a delicious and nutritious meal, roasted pheasant with fino and porcini mushrooms is the perfect dish. This recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the beneficial ingredients used in this appetizing dish.
Dried porcini mushrooms
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is dried porcini mushrooms. These mushrooms are not only aromatic but also rich in essential nutrients. They are an excellent source of protein and fiber, which helps promote healthy digestion and maintain a healthy weight. Porcini mushrooms also contain various minerals such as potassium, selenium and phosphorus, which contribute to overall well-being.
The star of this dish, pheasants, provides lean protein while being low in fat. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and supporting a healthy immune system. Pheasants also contain significant amounts of B vitamins, particularly vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, which are essential for the proper functioning of the nervous system and the production of red blood cells.
Prosciutto, a cured Italian ham, adds a savory touch to the roasted pheasant. Although prosciutto should be consumed in moderation due to its high sodium content, it provides protein, iron and several B vitamins. When consumed in moderation, it can be a valuable addition to a balanced diet.
rapeseed oil or olive oil
The recipe offers the option of using either rapeseed oil or olive oil for cooking. Both oils are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and contain antioxidants that may help reduce inflammation. These oils can help maintain appropriate cholesterol levels and have anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for your heart health.
Juniper berries and thyme
Using crushed juniper berries and thyme in the recipe not only enhances the flavor but also offers potential health benefits. Juniper berries are traditionally used for their diuretic properties and can aid digestion. Thyme, on the other hand, is known for its antimicrobial properties and is a good source of vitamins C and A.
Shallots and red grapes
Shallots and red grapes give this dish a sweet and spicy touch. Shallots are known for their antioxidant properties and provide important nutrients such as vitamin C, potassium and manganese. Red grapes, on the other hand, are rich in antioxidants like resveratrol, which may have potential heart-protective benefits.
Fino sherry and chicken broth
Fino sherry and chicken broth are responsible for the flavor base of the dish. While alcohol is used in the recipe, most of it evaporates during cooking. Fino sherry, when consumed in moderation, may provide certain health benefits such as: B. reducing oxidative stress and promoting cardiovascular health. The low-calorie, low-fat chicken broth adds depth to flavor and potentially contributes to gut health due to the collagen-rich bones used in its preparation.
Finally, the recipe recommends rounding off the dish with double cream. Although cream contains a high proportion of saturated fat, its consumption in moderation can enrich the texture and taste of the dish. However, as part of a balanced diet, it is important to enjoy cream in moderation.
As with any recipe, portion control and overall nutritional balance are key to getting the most out of these ingredients. Incorporating this Roasted Pheasant with Fino and Porcini Mushrooms into your meals will allow you to enjoy a delicious dish while providing your body with a variety of essential nutrients.