“Roasted pepper and chorizo salad is a delicious dish with a taste sensation. This recipe combines juicy roasted peppers, savory chorizo, and a variety of fresh, vibrant vegetables. Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only.”
As an added bonus, this versatile salad offers a handy, time-saving trick for busy days. Leftover roasted peppers and garlic can be turned into a delicious roasted pepper pesto pasta dish, making it easy to plan a delicious meal for the next day. Enjoy the ease and flavors of this incredible recipe!
- 8 red peppers (or buy 2 bags of inexpensive peppers – whether there are a few yellow or green ones in them)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, 6 unpeeled, 2 peeled and thinly sliced
- 225g chorizo ring, sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 eggs
- large handful of arugula leaves
- crusty bread for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Rub the peppers with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Roast the peppers with the 6 unpeeled garlic cloves in the oven for 40-45 minutes until soft.
- Place the peppers in a bowl and cover with cling film.
- Allow the peppers to steam for 10 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and remove the peel.
- Place 4 peppers and the garlic in a container and refrigerate for tomorrow’s dinner (if you have different colored peppers, save 4 red ones for tomorrow).
- Tear the remaining peppers into pieces.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan.
- Fry the chorizo for a few minutes until the oil comes out into the pan.
- Stir in the chopped garlic and paprika powder.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and add the crushed peppers.
- Remove from heat and season.
- Poach the eggs.
- Mix the arugula with the chickpea mixture.
- Divide the mixture between 4 plates.
- Top each plate with a poached egg.
- Serve with crusty bread if desired.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- cutting board
- Garlic press
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Chorizo: May contain soy and wheat
- Garlic: May cause allergies in some people
Storage and leftovers
Store any leftover Roasted Pepper and Chorizo Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For optimal flavor and freshness, it is recommended that leftovers be consumed within this time frame.
Health Benefits of Roasted Pepper and Chorizo Salad
Roasted pepper and chorizo salad is not only a delicious meal but also offers a number of health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, this salad offers a flavor combination that will satisfy your taste buds while promoting your well-being.
1. Red peppers
The star of this salad, red bell pepper, is full of important vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which support a strong immune system and promote healthy skin. Red peppers also contain antioxidants that are thought to reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
2. Olive oil
Using olive oil in this recipe provides a healthy dose of monounsaturated fats, which are known to have positive effects on heart health. Olive oil also has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in antioxidants, making it a healthy choice for cooking and dressing salads.
Known for its powerful aroma, garlic offers more than just taste. It has antimicrobial and immune-boosting properties that can help fight common diseases. Garlic is also believed to help lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels.
Although chorizo is a flavorful addition to this salad, it should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat and sodium content. However, it is a good source of proteins and essential minerals. By opting for leaner cuts or reducing the amount used, you can still enjoy the flavor without compromising on health.
5. Smoked Paprika
Smoked paprika not only gives the salad a smoky and slightly spicy flavor, but also offers a number of health benefits. It contains antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory effects and may help protect against certain diseases.
Chickpeas, a staple in many Mediterranean dishes, are a great source of plant-based protein, fiber and essential minerals. They help maintain a healthy digestive system, help control weight and reduce the risk of heart disease.
7. Sherry vinegar
Sherry vinegar, often used in Mediterranean cuisine, gives the salad a spicy and slightly sweet taste. It is known for its potential to improve digestion, promote healthy metabolism, and help regulate blood sugar levels.
Adding eggs not only increases the protein content of the salad, but also provides important vitamins and minerals. Eggs are a good source of vitamin B12, which is important for brain function, and vitamin D, which supports bone health.
9. Rocket blades
Rocket leaves, also known as arugula, give the salad a peppery and slightly bitter taste. They are low in calories and rich in vitamins A, C and K. Arugula leaves are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and can support healthy vision.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, roasted peppers and chorizo salad create a well-rounded and flavorful meal that contributes to a balanced and health-conscious diet. If desired, serve with some crusty bread for a filling and healthy dining experience.