This delicious recipe for Roasted Guinea Fowl with Lentils, Sherry and Bacon is a treat especially for non-Muslims as it contains pork. This wild bird is ideal for a cozy dinner for two and is the perfect size for a delicious meal. Combine it with a delicious Puy lentil ragout that perfectly complements the flavors. To round things off, a creamy sauce made from tarragon and parsley provides the necessary kick of freshness. Treat yourself to this exquisite dish and enjoy the delicious combination of flavors and textures.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 50g butter
- 1 small guinea fowl
- 100 g smoked bacon bacon
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g Puy lentils
- 100 ml dry sherry
- 225 ml chicken broth
- ½ bunch tarragon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 100 ml cream
- Juice ½ lemon
- a handful each of tarragon leaves and parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- In a spacious ovenproof baking dish, heat the oil and butter until foaming.
- Season the guinea fowl all over.
- Fry lightly on all sides for a good 10 minutes until browned, then place on a plate.
- Fry the bacon in the same dish until it begins to color.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery and bay leaves and fry for 10 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in lentils.
- Pour over the sherry and chicken stock until just covered and add the tarragon.
- Place the bird back between the lentils, breast side up.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- While the bird is roasting, prepare the sauce.
- Bring the cream and lemon juice to the boil and season.
- Remove from heat, add the herbs, puree with a hand blender and set aside.
- When the guinea fowl is ready, take it out of the mold.
- Stir the lentils well.
- Add the mustard and a dash of olive oil to the lentils.
- Transfer them to a serving plate.
- Place the guinea fowl on top and serve with the sauce.
Equipment and tools
To prepare and cook the roasted guinea fowl with lentils, sherry and bacon, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large ovenproof casserole dish
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- measuring cup
- Squeeze juicer
The recipe for roasted guinea fowl with lentils, sherry and bacon contains the following allergens:
Depending on the brand used, it may also contain traces of gluten from Dijon mustard. Please take this into account if you or your guests suffer from food allergies or intolerances.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Roast Guinea Fowl with Lentils, Sherry and Bacon, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, gently heat leftovers in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through.
- Do not reheat leftovers more than once.
Enjoy your roasted guinea fowl with lentils, sherry and leftover bacon within the recommended storage time for the best taste and quality.
Health Benefits of Roasted Guinea Fowl with Lentils, Sherry and Bacon
Roasted guinea fowl with lentils, sherry and bacon is not only a delicious and filling meal but also offers numerous health benefits. This recipe combines lean protein, fiber-rich lentils, and flavorful ingredients packed with essential nutrients. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this delicious dish:
1. Lean protein
The guinea fowl used in this recipe is a lean source of protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting a healthy immune system, and maintaining healthy skin, hair, and nails. Eating lean protein can also help maintain a healthy weight and keep you feeling full and satisfied.
2. Nutrient-rich lentils
Puy lentils are small green lentils that are not only quick to prepare but are also rich in essential nutrients. Lentils are an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes a healthy gut, and can help with weight control. They are also rich in iron and provide a plant-based source of this essential mineral for optimal blood health.
3. Antioxidant-rich ingredients
This pot roast recipe is packed with antioxidant-rich ingredients like carrots, onions, celery, tarragon, and parsley. Antioxidants help protect the body from damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Including antioxidant-rich foods in your diet can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain cancers.
4. Heart Health Benefits
Using dry sherry, chicken broth, and olive oil in this recipe provides heart-healthy benefits. Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and support overall heart health. Dry sherry and chicken broth enrich the flavor without adding excessive sodium, promoting a heart-healthy diet.
5. Essential vitamins and minerals
The roasted guinea fowl with lentils, sherry and bacon contains several ingredients packed with important vitamins and minerals. Carrots, onions and celery provide vitamins A, C and K as well as potassium. These nutrients support overall health, including healthy vision, skin, bones and a strong immune system.
6. Aromatic herbs
Tarragon and parsley not only enhance the flavor of this dish but also provide health benefits of their own. Tarragon contains compounds that may aid digestion and reduce pain and inflammation. Parsley is a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K and antioxidants, contributing to its potential anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties.
In summary, Roast Guinea Fowl with Lentils, Sherry and Bacon is a nutritious and delicious dish that combines lean protein, fiber-rich lentils and a range of flavorful ingredients. By incorporating this dish into your diet, you can enjoy the health benefits of lean protein, essential nutrients, antioxidants, heart-healthy ingredients, and aromatic herbs. So why not treat yourself to a healthy and filling meal that is good for your body?