This Roasted Chicken with Winter Root Vegetables recipe is perfect for anyone who likes the combination of prosciutto and chicken. It is not only a luxurious dish but also a healthy dish containing high levels of fiber, vitamin C and folic acid. Ideal for non-Muslims, the juicy chicken and flavorful prosciutto pair harmoniously with a mix of winter root vegetables. This delicious and nutritious meal is sure to satisfy your cravings while providing essential nutrients. Try it and elevate your dining experience this winter!
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into 2½ cm pieces
- 400 g beets, peeled and cut into 2½ cm pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 2½cm pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, scrubbed and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- a few sprigs of sage
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets weighing about 140g each
- 4 slices of prosciutto
Make it more vegetarian
Replace the root vegetables with a medium butternut squash, 1 large red onion, 1 red and 1 yellow pepper and omit the ham. Makes it cheesy
Goat Cheese with Winter Root Vegetables: Replace the chicken with 175g goat cheese. Cut into 4 slices and melt on the vegetables for the last minutes of cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6/fan 180°C.
- Place the celeriac, turnips, sweet potatoes, parsnips and garlic in a large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the vegetables so that they are lightly coated with oil.
- Place in the top of the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Place a few sage leaves on each chicken breast.
- Wrap each chicken breast with a slice of prosciutto to enclose it.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and turn the vegetables.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for another 30-35 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with steamed broccoli or lightly cooked savoy cabbage.
Equipment and tools
To make roasted chicken with winter root vegetables, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- A sharp knife
- A peeler
- A cutting board
- A baking tray
- A mixing bowl
- A spoon or tongs for mixing
This Roasted Chicken with Winter Root Vegetables recipe may contain the following allergens:
- None if prepared according to the original recipe
- Butternut squash, red onion, red and yellow pepper if making the vegetarian version
- Goat cheese if you are making the cheese version
Please be sure to check the labels of all ingredients used to ensure they do not contain allergens that you or your guests may be allergic to.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftover winter root vegetable roasted chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place in the preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Roasted Chicken with Winter Root Vegetables
Chicken roasted with winter root vegetables is not only a delicious and hearty dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits. By combining chicken, which is a lean source of protein, with a variety of nutrient-dense root vegetables, this recipe provides a well-rounded meal that supports overall health and wellness.
1. Rich in protein
Chicken breast fillets, the main ingredient in this recipe, are an excellent source of lean protein. Protein is essential for the growth, maintenance and repair of tissue and helps build strong muscles. It also helps control hunger, promote satiety and control weight. Including protein-rich foods like chicken in your diet can help you feel fuller for longer and support your fitness goals.
2. Rich in essential nutrients
The winter root vegetables used in this recipe, such as celeriac, turnips, sweet potatoes and parsnips, are packed with essential nutrients. This vegetable is a great source of fiber, vitamins and minerals. They provide vitamins A, C and K, as well as potassium and magnesium, which support a healthy immune system, strong bones and proper heart function. Including a variety of colorful vegetables in your diet can ensure you’re getting a range of beneficial nutrients.
3. Antioxidant powerhouse
Garlic, an ingredient in this recipe, is known for its powerful antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals. These are harmful molecules that cause oxidative stress and can contribute to various diseases. Garlic also contains compounds that have immune-boosting and anti-inflammatory effects, which can support overall health and well-being.
4. Heart-healthy cooking
This recipe uses olive oil, which is rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats have been shown to help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains beneficial antioxidants such as polyphenols, which have anti-inflammatory properties and may contribute to heart health.
When you enjoy roasted chicken with winter root vegetables, you can enjoy a healthy meal that provides your body with proteins, fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Reap the health benefits while enjoying the soothing flavors of this delicious dish.