Treat yourself to the delicious combination of zesty lemon and aromatic rosemary with this delicious fried chicken recipe. Although it can get a little messy, the end result is worth every effort, as the succulent meat transforms into a delicious explosion of fragrant citrus and herbal flavors with every bite.
Prepare for a culinary adventure because the crispy potatoes with the chicken provide an irresistible crunch and harmonize perfectly with the tender and juicy roasted meat. This delicious dish is sure to impress your guests and leave them wanting more. Get ready for the ultimate flavor experience with this unforgettable lemon and rosemary fried chicken feast!
- 2kg floury potatoes such as King Edward or Maris Piper, peeled
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 extra large fresh chicken, about 2.7kg
- 6 sprigs rosemary, plus extra for garnish
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml fresh chicken stock (buy two 300ml cups and use the rest for the salad)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Cut the potatoes into two bite-sized pieces and place them in a large pot of salted water.
- Bring the potatoes to the boil and cook for 5 minutes, then drain.
- In a large, sturdy roasting pan, heat the olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in the roaster and let them cook for 20 minutes.
- Peel the zest from the lemon with a vegetable peeler and cut into thin slices.
- Mix lemon peel with sea salt.
- Place the chicken on a board with its legs facing you and remove any twine attached to it.
- Lift the skin around the cavity and run your fingers under the skin on the chest and legs to separate it from the flesh.
- Push the salty lemon peel shavings under the skin and distribute evenly.
- Add four sprigs of rosemary, one on each leg and one on each breast.
- Place a sprig of rosemary inside the bird along with the peeled lemon.
- Take the roasting pan out of the oven and shake the potatoes well.
- Arrange the potatoes so that there is room for a rack over the roasting pan.
- Place the chicken upside down on the rack and roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, flip the potatoes, and coat them with the chicken’s fat.
- Return the chicken and potatoes to the oven and roast for another 20 minutes.
- Flip the potatoes again and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a serving platter. To keep warm, cover with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in an ovenproof dish and put them back in the oven to crisp up.
- Pour the fat out of the roaster and place the roaster on the stove over low to medium heat.
- Add half the stock to the can and bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping up any brown residue.
- Cook the broth until it reduces and becomes darker and syrupy.
- Add the rest of the broth and simmer again until it bubbles and reduces.
- Taste the sauce, adjust the seasoning if necessary, then pour it through a sieve into a preheated sauce pitcher.
- Stack the crispy potatoes around the chicken and garnish with the remaining rosemary sprigs.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and braised salad.
- If freezing, freeze the chicken for up to a month at the end of Step 2. Defrost thoroughly before continuing with the recipe.
Equipment and tools
To make Lemon Rosemary Roast Chicken with Crispy Potatoes you will need:
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- Potato masher
- Aluminum foil
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- None listed
Always check the labels of the ingredients you use to make sure they are appropriate for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers
- To store leftovers, place the chicken and potatoes in separate airtight containers and refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- When reheating, be sure to heat the chicken and potatoes thoroughly until piping hot.
- Do not reheat the chicken or potatoes more than once.
- Discard any leftovers left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Health Benefits of Lemon Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Crispy Potatoes
When it comes to a delicious combination of flavors and health benefits, nothing beats lemon rosemary fried chicken and crispy potatoes. This dish not only pampers the taste buds, but also provides various nutrients and vitamins that support your well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious recipe!
1. Rich in essential nutrients
Starting from the main ingredient, chicken provides a protein-rich meal that is essential for muscle growth, repair and overall development. In addition, chicken is a good source of vitamins such as niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12, which play an important role in maintaining a healthy nervous and immune system.
2. Strengthens the immune system
Lemons, known for their high vitamin C content, add a refreshing zest to the dish. Vitamin C is known for its immune-boosting properties and helps strengthen the body’s defenses against common diseases and viruses. Incorporating lemon into this recipe provides an excellent dose of this essential vitamin.
3. Supports digestive health
Both rosemary and potatoes contribute to the digestive benefits of this fried chicken dish. Rosemary contains compounds that aid digestion by reducing indigestion and bloating. On the other hand, potatoes, especially floury varieties like King Edward or Maris Piper, contain fiber that supports a healthy digestive system.
4. Provides energy and satiety
Potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates, which are the main source of energy for our body. The carbohydrates contained in potatoes provide sustained energy release and keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. This can help maintain a healthy weight by preventing excessive snacking or overeating.
5. Supports bone health
Adding chicken broth enhances the flavor and brings numerous health benefits to the dish. Chicken broth is rich in minerals such as calcium and phosphorus, which play an important role in maintaining healthy bones and teeth. Regular consumption of chicken broth can contribute to optimal bone health.
6. Promotes heart health
Olive oil, a key ingredient in this recipe, contains healthy monounsaturated fats that may help lower bad cholesterol levels in the blood, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease. Additionally, using olive oil instead of butter or other less healthy cooking oils makes this dish a heart-healthy option.
With its delicious blend of flavors and an array of health benefits, Lemon Rosemary Roast Chicken with Crispy Potatoes is a wonderful choice for a healthy and nutritious meal. Make this recipe, enjoy every bite and let your body benefit from these amazing ingredients!