This easy one-skillet meal is a feast of tender chicken and fresh fall flavors. The juicy fried chicken is flavored with a delicious blend of herbs and spices, so every bite is bursting with deliciousness. Combined with braised celery hearts, the dish takes on a delicious note as the crispy celery hearts absorb the savory juices of the chicken, creating a harmonious balance of textures and flavors. Prepare for a comforting and healthy meal that will leave you full and wanting more.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 whole celery hearts, halved lengthwise
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 600 ml fresh chicken stock
- 1 chicken weighing 1½kg/3lb 5oz
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Heat the butter in a large, shallow, ovenproof baking dish.
- Add the celery and carrots to the bowl and fry over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, garlic and spices to the vegetables to the dish.
- Pour the broth over the mixture in the bowl and let it simmer.
- Turn off the heating.
- Place the chicken in the bowl and nestle it into the vegetables.
- Season the chicken well with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dish to the preheated oven.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until the skin turns golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken on a board to rest for 20 minutes.
- To serve, reheat the celery and sauce.
- Sprinkle the dish with parsley and place in a serving bowl.
- Cut the chicken into portions.
- Serve the chicken on a board along with the celery so everyone can help themselves.
Equipment and tools
To make this Roast Chicken with Braised Celery Hearts recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- Basting brush
- measuring spoon
This Roast Chicken with Braised Celery Hearts recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
Please pay attention to possible allergens in you or your guests and adjust the recipe or inform them accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the roast chicken with braised celery hearts, you can process and store them as follows:
- Remove any leftover chicken from the bone and store in an airtight container.
- Store the braised celery hearts in a separate airtight container.
- Place the chicken and celery hearts in the refrigerator within 2 hours of cooking.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- When reheating, make sure the chicken is hot throughout.
Always follow appropriate food safety guidelines and use your judgment when consuming leftovers.
The Health Benefits of Roast Chicken with Braised Celery Hearts
Roasted chicken with braised celery hearts is not only a delicious and filling dish, but it also offers several health benefits. From providing essential nutrients to promoting heart health, this recipe can be a nutritious addition to your diet. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients in this recipe:
1. Celery hearts
The celery hearts in this recipe offer a number of health benefits. They are an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Celery hearts are also rich in vitamins A, K and C, as well as essential minerals such as potassium and folic acid. Including celery hearts in your diet can help reduce inflammation, promote healthy skin, and support a healthy immune system.
Carrots, another key ingredient in this recipe, are packed with vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body and promotes good vision. Carrots also provide antioxidants that protect the body from cell damage and support a healthy immune system. In addition, they contain fiber, which aids digestion and can help lower cholesterol levels.
Not only is garlic known for adding flavor to dishes, but it also offers numerous health benefits. It contains compounds that have been shown to strengthen the immune system and may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Garlic is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties and may support heart health by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The chicken used in this recipe is an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue in the body. It also provides important vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B6 and B12, which support brain function and help produce red blood cells. When consumed in moderation and prepared healthily, chicken can be a valuable part of a balanced diet.
Parsley, often used as a garnish, has a surprising number of health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which can boost the immune system and fight off infections. Parsley also contains a compound called apigenin, which has been studied for its potential anti-cancer properties. In addition, it is a good source of vitamin K, which supports bone health.
By combining these healthy ingredients, fried chicken with braised celery hearts can provide you with a variety of nutrients and contribute to your overall well-being. So next time you make this dish, you can enjoy its delicious flavors while reaping the many health benefits it has to offer.