This slow-cooked duck salad makes a great centerpiece for your guests – dinner party guests will love the variety of textures and flavors. The juicy roast duck is perfectly complemented by the grilled plums, adding a touch of sweetness to every bite. Flavored with a delicate blend of fresh greens and a tangy dressing, it’s a delicious combination that will have everyone coming back for more. With its impressive presentation and delicious taste, this dish will impress even the most demanding palates. Brighten up your next gathering with this exquisite roast duck and grilled plum salad.
- 3 duck legs
- 500 ml chicken broth
- 500 ml pomegranate juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 175g Bulghar wheat
- 6 plums, halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g green beans, cleaned and halved
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate or 110 g canned pomegranate seeds
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 50 g roasted almond flakes
- 200g pack of feta cheese, crumbled
- large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- small bunch of mint, leaves picked and torn into large ones
- 100 ml pomegranate juice
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (or 2 tablespoons blackcurrant jelly plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 preserved lemons, the center scraped out and discarded, the peel finely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp clear honey
Use up the supply
The duck’s cooking liquid is full of flavor, so don’t throw it away. Once cooled, skim off any surface fat and then freeze until needed. Strain into your next tagine, fragrant stew or curry.
- Place the duck legs in the slow cooker or a small casserole or casserole dish.
- If using the oven, preheat it to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Pour the broth and pomegranate juice over the duck legs, making sure they are completely submerged.
- Insert the cinnamon stick and cover with the lid or foil.
- Cook the duck legs on high in the slow cooker for 4 hours or in the oven for 2 hours.
- Allow the duck legs to cool in the liquid and then refrigerate until ready to prepare the salad.
- An hour before starting the salad, remove the duck legs from the liquid and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Place the duck legs in a roasting pan so they can dry a little.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Rub the duck legs with cumin and cinnamon and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Roast the duck legs for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook the bulgar wheat according to the package instructions and then drain well.
- Heat a dry grill pan and brush the halved plums with a little olive oil.
- Grill the plums for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Set the duck legs, plums and bulgur wheat aside to cool slightly.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the green beans.
- Cook the green beans until tender but still crispy, 2-4 minutes.
- Drain the green beans under cold running water to cool them.
- In a separate bowl, stir together all the dressing ingredients.
- When the duck legs are cool enough to handle, remove the meat and crispy skin from the bones.
- Place the shredded duck meat on a platter.
- Add the roasted plums, pomegranate seeds, red onions, bulgur wheat, green beans, flaked almonds, feta and herbs to the plate.
- Mix everything carefully with the dressing.
- Enjoy the salad immediately.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this roast duck and grilled plum salad, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Oven or frying pan
- Grill or frying pan
- Big pot
- mixing bowls
This roast duck and grilled plum salad contains the following allergens:
- Feta cheese
- Preserved lemons
Please be aware of these allergens if you or anyone consuming the dish suffers from allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Roast Duck and Grilled Plum Salad, here are some storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow the salad to cool completely before storing.
- Place the salad in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- The salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- To warm up, remove the salad from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature.
- If desired, you can reheat the duck separately in the oven or on the stovetop to keep it crispy.
- Before serving, mix the warmed duck with the salad.
Enjoy leftovers within the recommended storage time for the best flavor and quality.
Roast duck and grilled plum salad is not only a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the ingredients and how they contribute to our well-being.
The duck legs in this recipe are a good source of high-quality protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting immune function, and maintaining healthy hair, skin, and nails.
Bulghar wheat is a whole grain that is rich in fiber. Fiber aids digestion, helps maintain bowel function, and can reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
The grilled plums in this salad offer several health benefits. Plums are full of antioxidants that help protect our cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals. They are also a good source of vitamins A and C.
Green beans are low in calories and high in fiber, making them an excellent addition to a healthy diet. They also provide important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin K, vitamin C and folic acid.
Pomegranate seeds and juice
Pomegranates are known for their antioxidant properties and are rich in vitamins C and K. They can help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and improve heart health.
Red onions contain a compound called quercetin, which has been linked to various health benefits. Quercetin may help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and support heart health.
Roasted flaked almonds are a great source of healthy fats, protein and fiber. They are also rich in vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps protect our cells from damage.
Feta cheese adds a creamy flavor to the salad while providing calcium, protein, and vitamins A and B. However, due to its high sodium content, it is important to consume cheese in moderation.
Herbs and preserved lemons
The herbs such as parsley and mint give the salad freshness and taste. They also contain vital vitamins and minerals. Preserved lemons provide a tangy taste and are a source of vitamin C.
Pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and honey
The dressing for this salad combines pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, and honey. This combination offers a balance of sweet and spicy flavors while providing additional antioxidants and vitamins.
In conclusion, the roast duck and grilled plum salad is not only a delicious dish but also has numerous health benefits. From the high-quality protein in the duck legs to the fiber-rich bulgar wheat to the antioxidant-rich plums and pomegranates, this salad is a nutritional powerhouse. So why not enjoy this delicious and healthy meal?