This traditional dessert, known in Mexico as arroz con leche, is simply delicious. Our rice pudding with raisin cinnamon syrup is a heavenly treat that will pamper your taste buds. The creamy texture of the pudding combined with the sweetness of the raisins and the warmth of the cinnamon creates a delicious symphony of flavors. Best served in small glasses, this dessert is not only delicious but also visually appealing. Whether you enjoy it as a comforting snack or as a filling end to a meal, our rice pudding is sure to leave you wanting more.
- 200g pudding rice
- Zest 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1l whole milk
- 100g powdered sugar
- 85g raisins or sultanas
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100g light brown muscovado sugar
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Put the rice in a large pot with 500 ml water and the lemon and orange peel.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and then cook until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir in milk and sugar, then simmer, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and sauce is thickened, 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then leave to stand at room temperature.
- Place the raisins with the cinnamon, muscovado and 100 ml water in a small saucepan.
- Heat gently until the sugar has melted, then let it bubble for a minute until it forms a syrup.
- Stir in the cream, then let cool in the pan.
- Last minute preparation – stir a little milk into the rice mixture if it has “set” after a while.
- To serve, divide the rice pudding into 8 glasses or small bowls and top with a spoonful of the syrupy raisins.
Equipment and tools
Here is a list of equipment and tools you will need to make rice pudding with raisin cinnamon syrup:
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
Please note the following allergen information for Rice Pudding with Raisin Cinnamon Syrup:
- Dairy products: Contains milk and cream
Storage and leftovers
After making Rice Pudding with Raisin Cinnamon Syrup, follow these guidelines for storage and leftovers:
- Allow pudding to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Warm up individual portions in the microwave or on the stove.
Recipe: Rice pudding with raisin cinnamon syrup
Follow these steps to make delicious rice pudding with raisin cinnamon syrup:
- In a pot, mix rice, lemon zest, orange zest, milk and powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Place the pot over medium heat and allow the mixture to simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Add the raisins or sultanas and the cinnamon stick to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked through and mixture thickens, 25-30 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the light brown muscovado sugar and cream. Heat gently until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture forms a syrup.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the rice pudding. Serve the rice pudding in bowls and drizzle with the warm cinnamon syrup.
Health Benefits of Rice Pudding with Raisin and Cinnamon Syrup
Rice pudding with raisin and cinnamon syrup is a delicious and comforting dessert that not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers several health benefits. Made with wholesome ingredients like rice, raisins, cinnamon, and citrus zest, this dessert is a nutritious and flavorful option for anyone who wants a guilt-free treat. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these ingredients:
Rice is a staple food and a great source of energy for many cultures around the world. Pudding rice, often used in rice pudding recipes, is a short-grain rice that becomes soft and creamy when cooked. It is easily digestible and provides a good amount of carbohydrates, essential for fueling the body and brain. In addition, rice is low in fat and contains important nutrients such as B vitamins, iron and magnesium.
Raisins, also known as dried grapes, are a popular ingredient in desserts due to their natural sweetness. They are a concentrated source of energy and provide a quick boost of vitality. Raisins are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. They also contain antioxidants such as polyphenols, which protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
Cinnamon not only gives rice pudding a warm and comforting taste, but it also offers several health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body. Cinnamon is also known to improve insulin sensitivity and regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for those with diabetes or insulin resistance. Additionally, cinnamon has antimicrobial properties that can help fight bacterial and fungal infections.
The addition of lemon and orange zest in this recipe provides a touch of citrus flavor and scent. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, an important antioxidant that supports the immune system, promotes healthy skin and supports collagen production. The peel of citrus fruits contains essential oils that give the rice pudding an aromatic note and enhance the overall taste experience.
Although double cream is not considered a healthy food, it gives the rice pudding a luxurious and creamy consistency. When using Double Cream, moderation is key to avoid excessive intake of saturated fat, which can increase the risk of heart disease. However, a small amount of double cream can provide satisfaction and make the dessert more enjoyable without compromising its overall health.
Overall, Rice Pudding with Raisins and Cinnamon Syrup is a delicious dessert that offers a mix of flavors and textures. By using healthy ingredients like rice, raisins, cinnamon, and citrus zest, this dessert will not only satisfy your sweet cravings but also provide various health benefits. Enjoy this treat in moderation as part of a balanced diet for an enjoyable, guilt-free dining experience.