Indulge in the rich flavors of our exquisite Braised Blackberry Red Cabbage with Venison recipe. Tender and aromatic venison pairs perfectly with strong red cabbage, creating a harmonious mix of textures and flavors. Our secret ingredient is the addition of juicy blackberries, which provide a delicious sweetness that perfectly balances the robustness of the game meat. This dish is beautifully complemented by a side of velvety, buttery mashed potatoes, adding an extra dose of comfort to this fine dining experience. Let yourself be carried away by the extraordinary combination of flavors that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red cabbage (approx. 600 g), cored and cut into thin slices
- 5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp spice mix
- 2 tbsp currant jelly
- 4 venison steaks (about 175 g each)
- 175g blackberries
- 2 tbsp crème de mure or crème de cassis (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Mashed potatoes to serve
- Melt butter in a large pot,
- Add the onion and fry slowly
- 10 minutes until really soft. add the
- Cabbage, vinegar, sugar, spice mixture
- and half of the jelly together with 100 ml of water,
- then season. Bring to the boil, then stir
- cover with a lid. Let cook for 40 minutes
- a medium to low heat. Meanwhile remove
- to get the venison out of the fridge
- room temperature.
- Add blackberries and crème de
- Add mure or crème de cassis, if using
- Cabbage mixture. continue cooking,
- Simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes until the liquid has risen
- has evaporated and the blackberries
- collapsed easily.
- Heat a frying pan until hot. Rub the
- Fry the venison steaks with the oil, then season.
- Cook in the hot pan for 4-5 minutes
- per side, depending on thickness,
- for medium-rare. In the last 1 minute of
- Boil, add the remaining jelly
- Toss and spoon over the steaks
- melts. Remove the steaks from the pan
- toss and let rest. Serve the cabbage
- and venison with mashed potatoes.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Serving dishes
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please note that this recipe may also contain allergens not listed above. It is important to read all product labels carefully and consult a doctor if you have any concerns or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this recipe, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat the cabbage and venison in a saucepan over medium-low heat until heated through. Serve with fresh mashed potatoes.
Health Benefits of Braised Blackberry Red Cabbage with Venison
Blackberry-braised red cabbage with venison is a delicious and nutritious dish that will not only delight your taste buds but also provide various health benefits. This article will explore the different ways this recipe can contribute to your overall well-being.
1. Nutrient-rich red cabbage
The main ingredient of this recipe is red cabbage, which is rich in essential nutrients and antioxidants. Red cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber. Eating cabbage regularly can boost your immune system, promote healthy digestion, and support heart health.
2. Venison: Lean and high in protein
The venison steaks used in this recipe offer a lean and flavorful alternative to traditional red meat. Venison is low in saturated fat and high in protein, making it a good choice for a healthy diet. Protein is essential for muscle growth, muscle repair, and overall body function.
3. Blackberries full of antioxidants
Blackberries, another important ingredient, provide a lot of antioxidants. These small fruits are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Antioxidants help fight harmful free radicals, reduce inflammation and protect the body from chronic diseases.
4. Balsamic Vinegar: A healthy addition
Using balsamic vinegar in this recipe not only improves the taste but also brings health benefits. Balsamic vinegar contains polyphenols and antioxidants that may help lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of heart disease, and improve digestion.
5. Healthy fats from butter and oil
Although this recipe contains small amounts of butter and oil, they contribute to the overall flavor and mouthfeel. Butter provides healthy fats, vitamins and minerals, while oil provides essential fatty acids that are beneficial for skin health and hormone regulation.
6. Extra health with Crème de Mure/Cassis
If you choose to include crème de mure or crème de cassis in your recipe, you will reap additional health benefits. These liqueurs contain antioxidants from blackberries and blackcurrants respectively, which further increases the overall antioxidant content of the dish.
Enjoy this tasty dish of Braised Blackberry Red Cabbage with Venison alongside mashed potatoes for a nutritious and filling meal that will leave you feeling nourished and energized!