Are you looking for the secret to the most incredible baked potatoes? Look no further! This recipe for really good fried potatoes will leave you wanting more. Start by cooking the potatoes until they are completely tender, then fluff them to get that fluffy texture inside that we all love. Next, it’s time to crisp them up until golden brown, and what better way to do that than with a tantalizing combination of goose fat and oil? Don’t worry if you’re a vegetarian because these tubers can shine just as brightly with sunflower oil. Get ready to experience potato heaven!
- 3kg King Edward potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 175g goose fat
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil (or 8 tbsp if you don’t use goose fat)
- Flaked salt
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes until the outside of the potatoes becomes soft.
- Drain well, return to the pan and shake to loosen the outsides – alternatively you can score them with a fork. (This process makes them crispier.)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Place the goose fat (if using) and oil in a large shallow roasting pan and heat for 8-10 minutes until the goose fat has melted and the mixture is really hot.
- Remove from the oven, carefully add the potatoes and stir well to coat them with the fat.
- Spread them out as much as space allows and roast under the turkey for 45 minutes. Turn frequently and adjust the positions so that they brown evenly.
- When the turkey comes out of the oven, increase the heat to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Season the potatoes with salt flakes and roast for another 30 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time, until they are nice and golden brown.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- Vegetable peeler
This recipe contains:
- Goose fat
- sunflower oil
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to serve it again, reheat it in the oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp and heated through.
The health benefits of really good fried potatoes
Roasted potatoes are a classic side dish loved by many. Not only do they taste delicious, but they also offer several health benefits. Prepared with the right ingredients and cooking methods, baked potatoes can be a nutritious addition to your meals. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of really good fried potatoes.
Rich in nutrients
The main ingredient in fried potatoes is, of course, potatoes. Potatoes are a great source of several essential nutrients. They are rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that boosts your immune system and helps your body absorb iron. Potatoes also contain vitamin B6, which plays an important role in brain development and function. In addition, they provide potassium, which is crucial for heart health and maintaining proper fluid balance in the body.
Good source of energy
Fried potatoes are an excellent source of carbohydrates, which are your body’s main source of energy. The King Edward potatoes used in this recipe are particularly starchy and therefore a perfect option for sustainable energy supply. Adding baked potatoes to your meals can help energize your body and keep it energized throughout the day.
Rich in healthy fats
Although fried potatoes are typically associated with a high fat content, the type of fat used in this recipe may actually be beneficial for your health. Goose fat and sunflower oil are both sources of unsaturated fats, which are considered healthy fats. When consumed in moderation, unsaturated fats can help lower bad cholesterol, reduce inflammation and support heart health.
Achieve the right texture with flake salt
Flaked salt is used in this recipe to give the fried potatoes a crispy texture. While its primary purpose is to enhance flavor, flake salt may also provide some health benefits. Unlike table salt, which is heavily processed and stripped of natural minerals, flake salt retains its trace minerals, including magnesium and potassium. These minerals are essential for various body functions, such as regulating blood pressure and balancing electrolytes.
In summary, really good fried potatoes offer several health benefits. They are nutrient-rich and provide important vitamins and minerals. They are a great source of energy and contain healthy fats that promote heart health. Additionally, using flake salt can add some trace minerals to your diet. So next time you enjoy a plate of delicious fried potatoes, remember that they not only satisfy your taste buds, but also contribute to your overall well-being.