Want to transform a simple package of ravioli into a truly impressive and delicious meal? Then our exquisite recipe for ravioli with pumpkin and crispy crumbs is just right for you. Under the expert guidance of BBC Good Food, this dish will tingle your taste buds and amaze your guests. The combination of tender ravioli, strong pumpkin and crispy breadcrumbs creates a harmonious symphony of flavors. Brighten up your dining table and create a culinary masterpiece with this irresistible recipe. Trust BBC Good Food to guide you to culinary success!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g vegetarian Parmesan cheese (we used Italian-style Twineham Grange cheese), finely grated, plus some extra for serving
- Zest 1 lemon
- 85g fresh white breadcrumbs
- small handful of sage leaves
- 500ml pack of cheese filled ravioli
- a pinch of crushed chili flakes
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the pumpkin until golden brown, 10 minutes, turning the cubes occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté until softened, 1 minute.
- Add 300 ml water, grated Parmesan, chili flakes and lemon zest.
- Stir well, reduce heat and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Mash well and season to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small pan and stir in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sage.
- Cook the ravioli according to package directions (usually it only takes a few minutes).
- Drain and then pour into bowls.
- Pour the pumpkin sauce over the top and sprinkle with sage breadcrumbs.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- cutting board
- A garlic press
- frying pan
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (vegetarian parmesan cheese)
If you have dietary restrictions or allergies, please be sure to check the ingredients and substitute accordingly.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply heat leftovers in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
Before eating leftovers, be sure to check the quality and discard them if they appear spoiled or have an unpleasant odor.
Health Benefits of Ravioli with Pumpkin and Crispy Crumbs
Ravioli with pumpkin and crispy crumbs is a delicious and filling dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of the nutritious ingredients and their benefits:
The main ingredient in this recipe is butternut squash, which offers numerous health benefits. It is packed with essential nutrients such as vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and fiber. These nutrients promote healthy digestion, boost immune function and support heart health.
With 3 tablespoons of olive oil, this recipe contains a good source of healthy fats. Olive oil is known for its monounsaturated fats, which can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. It also contains antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory properties.
Vegetarian Parmesan-style cheese
The addition of vegetarian parmesan cheese not only ensures a delicious taste, but also provides important nutrients. Cheese is a good source of protein, calcium and vitamin B12. Calcium is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while vitamin B12 supports nerve function.
The zest of a lemon gives the dish a refreshing and tangy taste. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system, supports collagen formation, and aids iron absorption.
Fresh white breadcrumbs
When consumed in moderation, fresh white breadcrumbs add a delicious crunch to the ravioli dish. However, it is important to note that excessive consumption of breadcrumbs can contribute to weight gain due to their high carbohydrate content.
Sage leaves not only provide an aromatic taste, but also offer potential health benefits. They contain various compounds with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Some studies suggest that sage may improve memory and cognitive function.
Crushed chili flakes
A pinch of crushed chili flakes gives the ravioli a spicy touch, but also offers potential health benefits. Chili flakes contain capsaicin, a compound that may support metabolism, relieve pain and have antioxidant effects.
So the next time you enjoy a plate of ravioli with pumpkin and crunchy crumbs, not only will your taste buds thank you, but your body will also benefit from the abundance of nutrients these ingredients provide.