This stunning Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake is a real showstopper and is guaranteed to impress at any special occasion.
Layers of moist and flavorful raspberry cake are expertly stacked, creating a beautiful ombre effect when cut. Each luxurious slice reveals a delicious combination of tart raspberry and rich caramel.
Topped with a delicious cream cheese frosting in bright hues, this cake not only tastes incredible but looks absolutely beautiful too. It’s the perfect centerpiece for birthdays, weddings or any memorable celebration that calls for something truly extraordinary. Treat yourself to this exquisite dessert and create lasting memories with every delicious bite!
- 400g butter, softened, plus a little butter for greasing
- 400g soft light brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 400g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Table spoons of milk
- 200g raspberries
- 397g canned caramel (we used clove)
- 300 g cup full-fat cream cheese
- 140 g butter, soft
- 300g golden powdered sugar
- 100g raspberries
- pink and caramel colored food coloring pastes
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Grease the bottom and sides of 2 x 20 cm deep cake tins and line them with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- If the mixture looks like it’s about to burst, add a spoonful of flour.
- Add the remaining flour and stir in the vanilla and milk.
- Gently fold in the raspberries, making sure not to chop them up too much.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- For the glaze, place 1 tablespoon of caramel, cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar in a large bowl and mix with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut the cakes down the middle.
- Glue a cake base with some cream cheese icing onto a board or cake stand.
- Layer the remaining cake layers on top and fill with caramel and raspberries between each layer.
- Finish with a flat layer of caramel.
- Using a spatula, cover the cake thinly with the icing.
- Chill the cake for 30 minutes.
- Divide the remaining frosting between two bowls, about two-thirds in one bowl and the remaining third in the other.
- Color the smaller portion of frosting pink and the other portion a cookie-caramel color with food coloring.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and spread the caramel-colored icing on top.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake and spread it down the sides, stopping about halfway up.
- Cover the bottom half of the cake with the pink icing.
- Using a clean spatula, gently brush the glaze upwards and mix the colors.
- Continue this around the cake, wiping with the spatula between each coat.
- If necessary, run the spatula around the edges of the cake to smooth the surface.
- Best consumed within a day of preparation, but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, simply bring to room temperature before eating.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 x 20cm round cake tins
- parchment paper
- Cake smoother or serrated knife
- Cake turntable (optional)
- Offset putty or spatula
- Wire cooling rack
- Small pot
- Piping bag and nozzle (optional)
This Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter, cream cheese)
- Gluten (self-raising flour)
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to store leftover Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake:
- Cake should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator if it has cream cheese frosting and bring it to room temperature before serving.
- Leftover cake can be enjoyed for up to 3-4 days.
- Note that the raspberries may release some moisture, which will make the cake moister over time.
The Health Benefits of Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake
Enjoying a delicious slice of Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers several health benefits. This delicious dessert combines the tang of raspberries with the rich flavors of caramel, creating a delicious treat that is not only visually appealing but also good for your well-being. Let’s explore some of the health benefits of the main ingredients used in this recipe.
Raspberries are not only juicy and aromatic, but also full of important nutrients. They are a fantastic source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy digestive system. In addition, raspberries are rich in antioxidants, including vitamin C, which strengthens your immune system and protects against various diseases. The natural compounds found in raspberries have also been linked to a reduction in the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
While caramel is often associated with indulgence, it can provide certain health benefits when consumed in moderation. Caramel is a rich source of B vitamins, which play a crucial role in maintaining healthy metabolism and energy production. It also contains small amounts of minerals such as calcium and iron, which are essential for maintaining strong bones and preventing iron deficiency anemia. However, due to its high sugar content, it is important to consume caramel in moderation.
When consumed in moderation, cream cheese can be a valuable source of nutrients. It is a good source of protein, essential for building and repairing tissue in the body. Cream cheese also contains calcium, which promotes strong bones and teeth. In addition, it provides important vitamins such as vitamin A, which supports immune function and healthy vision.
Although butter is high in saturated fat, it can still be part of a balanced diet when consumed in moderation. It contains fat-soluble vitamins such as vitamin A, which is crucial for maintaining healthy skin and eyes. It also provides vitamin E, an antioxidant that protects your cells from free radical damage. Additionally, butter adds richness and flavor to the cake while keeping it moist.
Raspberries for decoration
In addition to the raspberries incorporated into the cake batter, this recipe recommends using fresh raspberries for decoration. These berries are not only visually appealing but also provide additional nutritional value. Fresh raspberries are rich in fiber, antioxidants and various vitamins and minerals. Adding them as a garnish gives the cake a touch of freshness and a nice finishing touch.
By using these nutritious ingredients in Raspberry Caramel Ombre Cake, you can enjoy a delicious dessert while benefiting from the health-promoting properties they offer. So treat yourself to a slice of this delicious cake, knowing that it will not only satisfy your sweet cravings but also provide some nutritional value.