The Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake is the epitome of a delicious tea treat. Juicy and full of fruity flavors, this cake embodies simple baking at its best. With every bite, you’ll experience a symphony of tangy raspberries, juicy blueberries, and zesty lime dancing on your taste buds. The bright colors alone make this cake a feast for the eyes, but its delicious taste really takes it to another level. Whether you’re an experienced baker or just starting your culinary journey, this recipe promises satisfaction and smiles for everyone.
- 225g softened butter, plus some butter for greasing
- 225g golden powdered sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 limes, grated zest and juice
- 250g self-rising flour, sifted with a pinch of salt, plus additional flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 100g each blueberries and raspberries
- 8 tbsp lime juice (approx. 4 limes)
- 1 lime, grated zest
- 140g golden powdered sugar
- Line the bottom and sides of a 20cm square cake tin (not loose-bottomed) with baking paper and grease the paper. Set the oven to 180°C/gas 4/fan 160°C.
- Cream butter and sugar until light. Gradually stir in the eggs, adding a little flour toward the end to prevent curdling. Stir in the lime zest, then fold in the flour and almonds. Fold in enough lime juice – about 3 tablespoons – to produce a good dripping consistency (the mixture should drip easily from the spoon when tapped).
- Fold in three quarters of the blueberries and raspberries and pour into the prepared pan. Smooth the surface and then sprinkle the remaining fruit on top – it will sink as the cake rises.
- Bake for about 1 hour (cover with aluminum foil if browned too much) or use a gentle pestle to set the center. A skewer inserted into the center should be clean when removed.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup: Place the lime juice, zest and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until bubbles form. The sugar should dissolve a little. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pierce it with a skewer and then spoon the syrup over it. To store, allow to cool before wrapping in paper and/or foil.
- Carefully remove the cake from the tin, remove the baking paper and cut into 12 pieces to serve.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- Lemon peel or grater
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Cake tin (20 cm round)
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
This Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: butter
Please consider these ingredients if you or your guests suffer from allergies or dietary restrictions.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store the Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week.
For longer storage, you can freeze the cake by wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap or placing it in a freezer-safe container. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to eat the cake, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bring it to room temperature before serving.
Health Benefits of Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake
Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake not only delights the taste buds with its tangy and sweet flavors but also offers various health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional value and benefits of the main ingredients of this delicious dessert.
Raspberries are low in calories and full of essential nutrients. They are an excellent source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese and antioxidants. Including raspberries in your diet can improve digestion, boost the immune system, and protect against chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
Similar to raspberries, blueberries are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are particularly known for their high anthocyanin content, which gives them their bright blue color. Blueberries have been linked to improved brain function, reduced risk of heart disease, and better blood sugar control.
Lime adds a zesty touch to this drizzle cake while providing several health benefits. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C and antioxidants. They can strengthen the immune system, support digestion and promote healthy skin. Lime juice is also known for its alkalizing effect on the body and supports a balanced pH value.
4. Self-raising flour
Using self-raising flour in this recipe gives the cake a lighter texture. However, it’s worth noting that self-raising flour is typically fortified with essential B vitamins, iron, and other nutrients to support overall health.
5. Ground almonds
Ground almonds not only provide a subtle nutty flavor, but also contribute to the nutritional profile of this cake. Almonds are a good source of healthy fats, vitamin E and minerals like magnesium and calcium. They promote heart health, help with weight management and support brain function.
6. Golden powdered sugar
The small amount of golden sugar used in this recipe adds sweetness. Although it is still a form of added sugar, moderate consumption can be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet without significant side effects. It is important to consume sugar in moderation and pay attention to total sugar intake in your daily diet.
Now that you know about the health benefits of the main ingredients of Raspberry Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake, you can enjoy this delicious treat guilt-free. Remember to enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced lifestyle.