Ramen with chicken bone broth, pork shoulder, soft-boiled egg and vegetables is a delicious and comforting dish inspired by Japanese cuisine. This recipe is perfect for non-Muslims as it contains pork. The star of this dish is the rich and flavorful bone broth, made by simmering chicken bones for hours. The tender pork shoulder adds a savory touch, while the soft-boiled egg creates a creamy consistency. To add freshness and color, different shades of green are added. With every spoonful, you’ll enjoy the comforting taste and warming properties of this steaming bowl of ramen soup.
- 4 eggs
- 250g ramen noodles
- 2 large handfuls of shredded spring greens
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 75g bamboo shoots from a can, drained, chopped and soaked in 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- Chili oil for serving
- pickled chili and shallots (see recipe in tip, optional) for serving
- 6 chicken legs
- 2 large carrots, halved
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4cm piece of ginger, sliced
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 900g pork shoulder (thick layer of fat removed), halved
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sake
- 4 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
Pickled chili and shallots
Place 1 sliced red chilli (deseed if you don’t like it too spicy) and 3 quartered small shallots in a small bowl and pour 150ml rice wine vinegar over it. Add some salt and let it marinate for at least 20 minutes. Drain before serving.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- To make the broth, place the chicken, carrots, onions and ginger in a large roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with spices and roast for 30 minutes.
- Place everything from the can, including fat and pan juices, into a large pot.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and pork and pour in 3 liters of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to the lowest heat possible.
- After the frothy foam rises to the surface, skim it off with a ladle and discard it.
- Partial cover with lid.
- Let it simmer for 3 hours, but after about 2½ hours, or when it is very tender, remove the pork and set it aside.
- Strain the broth into a clean pan.
- Save the chicken and use it for something else.
- Cook over medium heat for another 30-40 minutes to reduce the quantity by a third, then skim off the excess fat.
- Add about 1 teaspoon salt and taste to see if more is needed.
- Cook the eggs in a pan for 6 minutes, then remove and place in ice water to cool.
- Cook the pasta in a large skillet, stirring to prevent sticking, until al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables in the last minute of cooking.
- Drain and divide between the bowls.
- Mix the ramen seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slice the pork and add it to the bowls.
- Pour the broth over it and add the spring onions and bamboo shoots.
- Peel the eggs, halve them lengthwise and place them in each bowl, with a dollop of pickled chilli and shallots if desired.
- Spread the ramen seasoning and chili oil all around and serve on top.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Big pot
- slotted spoon
- Big bowl
- Small bowl
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- tin opener
- Sieve or sieve
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- soy sauce
Please be careful and look for additional allergen information on the packaging of all ingredients used.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them as follows:
- Place the ramen broth and pork shoulder in separate airtight containers.
- Store the cooked ramen noodles, spring greens, scallions, and bamboo shoots in a separate airtight container.
- Cover all containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply bring the broth to a boil and warm the noodles, pork, and other ingredients in the broth until heated through.
Health Benefits of Ramen with Chicken Bone Broth, Pork Shoulder, Soft Boiled Egg and Vegetables
Ramen is a classic Japanese dish that has gained popularity worldwide due to its rich taste and beneficial properties. This special recipe combines the goodness of chicken bone broth, tender pork shoulder, soft-boiled eggs, and nutrient-dense vegetables. Not only is it delicious but it also offers several health benefits.
1. Good source of protein
Protein is an essential macronutrient that plays an important role in building and repairing tissue, supporting a healthy immune system, and maintaining overall health. The combination of chicken thigh, pork shoulder, and eggs in this recipe provides a high-quality source of protein that will fuel your body and keep you feeling full.
2. Nutrient-rich greens
The addition of shredded spring greens gives the dish a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. This vegetable is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and fiber. They contribute to the overall nutritional value of the ramen, support immune function and promote general well-being.
3. Benefits of Bone Broth
The chicken bone broth used as the base for this ramen recipe offers several health benefits. Bone broth is packed with essential amino acids, collagen, and other compounds that promote gut, joint, and skin health. It can also support healthy digestion and contribute to a strong immune system.
4. Therapeutic effects of ginger
Ginger, a common ingredient in Asian cuisine, is included in the broth and not only provides a subtle spiciness, but also possible therapeutic effects. Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and support cardiovascular health.
5. Customizable seasoning with chili oil
The optional addition of chili oil not only adds delicious spice to the ramen, but also offers potential health benefits. Capsaicin, the active ingredient in chili peppers, has been linked to improved metabolism, pain relief, and possible anti-cancer effects. Plus, it can give you a satisfying, spicy feeling.
6. Pickled chilies and shallots
The pickled chilies and shallots mentioned in the recipe tip can provide an extra boost of flavor while also providing potential health benefits. Shallots contain antioxidants and compounds that support heart health and may help regulate blood sugar levels. At the same time, the pickling process increases the bioavailability of certain nutrients in the chili.
Whether you’re a ramen fan or looking for a filling and nutritious meal, this ramen recipe with chicken bone broth, pork shoulder, soft-boiled eggs, and vegetables is a fantastic choice. Enjoy the delicious flavors while providing your body with a wealth of beneficial nutrients!