Introducing our delicious Rainbow Rolls – a delicious mix of scones and bread that guarantees a heavenly dining experience. With a perfectly crispy top and a tender, doughy center, these baps will tantalize your taste buds like no other. To add to their appeal, we’ve cleverly designed them to make use of any leftover veggies you might have lying around, reducing waste in the most delicious way possible. Be surprised by the delicious combination of textures and flavors that our Rainbow Rolls bring to your table.
- 250g plain white flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 250g white bread flour
- 500g seed and grain bread flour
- 7 g bag of fast-acting dry yeast
- 100g porridge
- 100g mixed seeds, plus some extra for sprinkling
- 50g walnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 50 g cold butter, diced
- 2 x 10 oz pots of buttermilk
- 100g grated zucchini
- 100g grated carrots
- 100g grated raw beetroot – wear gloves!
- some milk or beaten egg for glazing
- Dust your largest baking sheet or tray with flour.
- Mix flour, yeast, oats, seeds, nuts, bicarbonate of soda and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl.
- Rub the butter in with your fingers until it is almost gone.
- Add buttermilk and 150-200ml water and mix quickly with a wooden spoon.
- Form a dough with your hands.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
- Knead a grated vegetable into each part to make a zucchini dough, a carrot dough and a beetroot dough.
- Using floured hands, form each part into 6 rounds.
- Arrange the circles on the baking sheet, spaced apart from each other.
- Cover loosely with oiled cling film and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Brush the top of the dough rounds with milk or egg.
- Sprinkle additional seeds on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the bottoms are light golden and sound hollow when tapped.
- Cover with a tea towel and let cool slightly.
Equipment and tools
To prepare the rainbow rolls you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- Cooling rack
- Sharp knife
- Pastry brush
The rainbow roll recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten from wheat
- Seeds (mixed seeds and some for sprinkling)
Please note that the recipe may come into contact with other allergens during preparation. It is important to assess the specific allergy concerns of anyone consuming the rainbow rolls.
Storage and leftovers
After baking, store the rainbow rolls in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to keep them fresh longer, you can also freeze the rolls. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer bag before freezing. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat leftover rainbow rolls, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and place the rolls on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes until warm. Alternatively, you can lightly toast the rolls in the toaster or toaster oven.
Health Benefits of Rainbow Rolls
Health Benefits of Rainbow Rolls
Rainbow rolls are not only delicious, but they also offer a variety of health benefits due to their nutrient-dense ingredients. Packed with colorful vegetables and healthy grains, these rolls provide a range of essential nutrients that contribute to overall well-being.
1. Fiber-rich whole grains
The combination of pure white flour, white bread flour, and seed and grain bread flour used in rainbow rolls provides a good source of fiber. Whole grains are known to promote digestive health by supporting regular bowel movements and reducing the risk of constipation.
2. Abundance of seeds and nuts
By adding mixed seeds such as oatmeal, walnuts and additional mixed seeds for sprinkling, rainbow rolls are provided with a dose of healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. These nutrient-dense ingredients contribute to heart health, brain function and overall well-being.
3. Antioxidant-rich vegetables
Rainbow rolls are made vibrant and nutritious with the addition of grated zucchini, carrots and raw beets. This colorful vegetable provides a wide range of antioxidants that help protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals and oxidative stress.
4. Improved nutritional profile
By incorporating vegetables like zucchini, carrots, and beets into the dough, rainbow rolls increase their overall nutritional value. Zucchini is a great source of vitamin C, carrots provide beta-carotene for healthy eyes and skin, while beets provide important minerals like potassium and magnesium.
5. Buttermilk for extra calcium
Using buttermilk in the recipe not only improves the flavor and texture of the rainbow rolls, but also provides a good source of calcium. Calcium is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth, supporting muscle function, and promoting a healthy heart rhythm.
6. Gluten-free alternative
People with gluten intolerance or celiac disease can modify the rainbow roll recipe by using gluten-free flours or substitutes. This allows them to enjoy the health benefits of rainbow rolls without negative effects on their digestive system.
From the healthy whole grains to the abundance of vegetables and seeds, rainbow rolls offer numerous health benefits in a colorful package. Including these rolls in a balanced diet can help provide the body with essential nutrients and support overall well-being.