Show off your cooking skills with this restaurant-style piece of lamb served on a butter bean mash. Treat yourself to the succulent, herb-coated rack of lamb, cooked to perfection to bring out its flavors. The crispy, golden crust adds a delicious texture to every bite. Accompanied by a velvety white bean puree, this dish creates a harmonious blend of rich flavors. Elevate your dining experience with this impressive recipe that is sure to impress your guests. Serve with your favorite side dishes for a complete and satisfying meal.
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs or white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves, picked from twigs
- Zest 1 lemon
- 25g grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 2 x 8-bone rack of lamb, well trimmed (see “Try” below)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 250g leaf spinach
- Butter 400 g canned beans, drain and rinse
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- large sprig of rosemary, leaves chopped
- Juice ½ lemon
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, the best quality you can afford
Rack of lamb
Cooks “French trim” a rack of lamb to prepare it
It looks very neat, scrapes all the skin off and
Remove meat from bones and trim off fat
into a single thin layer. That is something
The butcher will be happy to do it for you, but you
Advance notice may be required.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Put the breadcrumbs, herbs, zest and parmesan in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of oil and some spices. Puree until everything is finely chopped.
- Heat remaining oil in an ovenproof frying pan. Season the lamb, then brown well on all sides and turn off the heat.
- Turn racks so fat side is facing up and brush generously with mustard. Pack over the herb crust, drizzle with a little more oil and roast for 25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the lamb is cooked through – this creates lamb that is pink in the middle but cooked all the way through. If you like your lamb rarer, roast it for just 20 minutes. If you like it more done, give it another 5 minutes. Place the lamb on a board to rest.
- While the lamb is cooking, puree the beans with garlic, anchovies, rosemary, lemon juice, some spices and 7 tablespoons olive oil (or enough to make a smooth puree).
- Put the bean puree in a pot and heat gently.
- In another pan, wilt the spinach in the remaining olive oil.
- Once the lamb has rested, carefully cut it into chops, making sure to keep the crust intact.
- Divide the warm bean puree between four plates, add a small pile of spinach and then arrange three lamb chops on each portion.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Equipment and tools
To make this herb-crusted rack of lamb with white bean puree, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Food processor or blender
- baking sheet or roasting pan
- Pastry brush
- Barbecue or grill
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (breadcrumbs)
- Dairy products (Parmesan)
- Fish (anchovy fillets)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers from the herb-crusted rack of lamb and white bean puree, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the lamb in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. The white bean puree can be reheated on the stove over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the desired temperature.
Health Benefits of Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with White Bean Puree
Herb-crusted rack of lamb with white bean puree is not only a delicious and filling dish, but it also offers a number of health benefits. This article explores the nutritional value and benefits of the key ingredients used in this recipe.
Rack of lamb is a fantastic source of high quality protein. It provides all the essential amino acids the body needs for muscle growth, repair and maintenance. In addition, lamb is rich in vitamins such as B vitamins (B12, niacin and riboflavin), which improve metabolism and help release energy from food.
2. White Breadcrumbs:
White breadcrumbs are made from white bread that has been baked and made into fine crumbs. Although they are not as nutritious as whole grains, they can still be a source of carbohydrates and fiber. Additionally, the breadcrumbs used in this recipe provide a crispy texture without the need for deep-frying, reducing the overall fat content.
3. Herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary):
These herbs not only enhance the flavor of the dish but also provide numerous health benefits. Parsley is an excellent source of vitamin K, which promotes healthy bones and cardiovascular health. Thyme is rich in antioxidants and has antimicrobial properties. Rosemary contains compounds that may help improve digestion as well as improve memory and concentration.
Adding lemon zest and juice to the lamb gives it a refreshing citrus flavor. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which is essential for a strong immune system, collagen production and iron absorption. They also contain flavonoids, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects.
5. Parmesan Cheese:
The grated Parmesan used in the herb crust provides a burst of flavor and a good amount of calcium and protein. Calcium plays an important role in maintaining healthy bones and teeth, while protein helps in tissue repair and growth.
6. Olive Oil:
Olive oil is a heart-healthy fat that contains monounsaturated fatty acids, which may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. It is also rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is low in calories but full of essential nutrients. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as folic acid, iron and fiber. Spinach promotes healthy digestion, supports brain function and contributes to a strong immune system.
8. Butter Beans:
Butter beans are a type of white bean that provide a good amount of protein, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium and magnesium. They are also low in fat and cholesterol, making them a nutrient-dense addition to any diet.
Garlic not only adds flavor to white bean puree but also provides several health benefits. It contains a compound called allicin, which has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties. Garlic can also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
10. Anchovy fillets:
Anchovies are small, fatty fish that are often used to add intense flavor to various dishes. They are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which have been linked to numerous health benefits including improved heart health, brain function and reduced inflammation.
11. Extra Virgin Olive Oil:
Extra virgin olive oil is the highest quality olive oil, obtained exclusively mechanically from olives. It contains a wide range of antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds that contribute to its anti-inflammatory and heart-protective properties.
To sum up, Herb Crusted Rack of Lamb with White Bean Puree recipe will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide various health benefits. From high-quality protein and essential nutrients to antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, every ingredient adds value to this delicious dish.