This quick and delicious fish pie recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you need a quick but filling meal.
Not only is it easy to make, this recipe also allows you to make a double batch and freeze a whole cake for later. This way, in an emergency or when you’re short on time, you’ll always have a practical and delicious dinner on hand.
With its flavorful combination of tender fish, rich sauce and a comforting potato topping, this fish pie is truly a winner. Simply warm up and enjoy whenever you want a delicious and uncomplicated dinner.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 200g pack of cherry tomatoes, stems removed and halved if large
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 300 g white fish fillets without skin and bones, cut into pieces
- 100 ml vegetable broth or white wine
- 100g cooked shrimps
- 2 sprigs tarragon, chopped
- 750g potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add celery and garlic to the pan.
- Cook over high heat until tender, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes until they begin to burst.
- Stir in the tomato puree and fish.
- Pour broth or wine over it.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook until heated through, 2 minutes more.
- Stir in tarragon.
- Pour the mixture into a medium oval cake pan.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them together with the remaining olive oil, 3 tablespoons of water and the spring onions.
- Pour the mashed potatoes over the fish mixture.
- Smooth the mashed potatoes all over so that the fish is covered.
- Run a fork over the surface of the mashed potatoes to create swirls.
- Cook under the hot grill for 10 minutes until the topping is lightly browned.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this quick fish pie you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Oven-safe dishes
- Big pot
- Potato masher
This quick fish pie recipe contains the following allergens:
- White fish
Please note that this recipe may also contain other allergens not listed. It is important to check the labels of all prepackaged ingredients and take necessary precautions.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this delicious quick fish pie, here are some storage guidelines:
- Allow cake to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer remaining cake to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the cake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of Fast Fish Pie
Fast fish pie is not only delicious, but also incredibly nutritious. Packed with a combination of ingredients that provide a range of essential vitamins, minerals and omega-3 fatty acids, this dish offers multiple health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of them:
1. Heart health
The olive oil used in this recipe is a great source of monounsaturated fats, which are known for their heart-protecting properties. Eating these healthy fats is associated with lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and a lower risk of heart disease.
2. Rich in antioxidants
The addition of celery, garlic, and cherry tomatoes gives this dish a boost of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radical damage, which can lead to chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
3. Protein powerhouse
White fish fillets and shrimp are excellent sources of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting immune function, and promoting healthy hair, skin, and nails. Including protein-rich foods in your diet can also help you feel fuller for longer, thus helping with weight control.
4. Vitamin C boost
Tomatoes are known for their high vitamin C content. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system, supports collagen production for healthy skin, and helps the body absorb iron. Eating vitamin C-rich foods like cherry tomatoes can contribute to overall health and well-being.
5. Nutrient-rich potatoes
Potatoes are often underestimated in terms of their nutritional value. They provide a range of vitamins and minerals including potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. Potassium is essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure, while vitamin B6 supports brain development and function. In addition, potatoes are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes satiety.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Fast Fish Pie offers a well-rounded meal that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. So the next time you make this dish, remember that you are providing your body with an abundance of nutrients!