This exquisite quiche with roasted tomatoes, basil and parmesan is a touch of summer and will transport you to the sunny streets of Italy. Full of vibrant Italian flavors, it’s a delicious dish to enjoy for dinner al fresco in your own garden. The rich and tangy flavor of roasted tomatoes harmonizes with the aromatic basil, while the luxurious Parmesan cheese adds a decadent touch. With its buttery crust and comforting filling, this quiche is an irresistible treat that captures the essence of the Mediterranean. Treat yourself to this delicious homemade delicacy and enjoy every delicious bite.
- 300g cherry tomatoes
- Drizzle olive oil
- 50g Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 2 eggs
- 284 ml pot of double cream
- a handful of basil leaves, chopped, plus a few small ones left over for scattering
- 280g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 140g cold butter, cut into pieces
- Make the dough by combining the flour and butter in a bowl and rubbing with your fingertips until a crumbly consistency is formed.
- Add 8 tablespoons cold water and mix with your hands until well combined.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a round shape, about 5cm larger than a 25cm baking tin.
- Using a rolling pin, lift the dough and place it over the tart pan, leaving an overhang of dough on the sides.
- Using a small ball of leftover dough, press the dough into the corners of the pan.
- Chill the tart in the refrigerator or freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- In a small roasting pan, drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the tomatoes on a low rack in the oven.
- Lightly prick the bottom of the cake with a fork.
- Line the cake pan with a large circle of baking paper or foil.
- Fill the tart base with baking beans.
- Bake the tart blind for 20 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans, then continue baking for 5-10 minutes until the dough is biscuit brown.
- Remove the tart base and tomatoes from the oven.
- While the tart is cooking, beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the cream to the eggs.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the tart base is ready, sprinkle half of the cheese over the pastry base.
- Scatter the roasted tomatoes over the cheese.
- Pour the cream mixture over the tomatoes.
- Finally sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Let the tart cool in the tin.
- Trim the edges of the pastry and remove the tart from the tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining basil on top.
- Serve the quiche in slices.
Equipment and tools
To make this Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Parmesan Quiche recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- baking tray
- rolling pin
- Quiche dish
- mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
This Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Parmesan Quiche Recipe contains the following allergens:
- Milk (double cream)
Storage and leftovers
Once cooked, you can store any leftovers of this Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Parmesan Quiche in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the quiche in the preheated oven until warmed through. Do not freeze.
Health Benefits of Roasted Tomato, Basil and Parmesan Quiche
The Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Parmesan Quiche not only tantalizes the taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this dish is a wonderful way to incorporate important nutrients into your diet. From the antioxidant-rich cherry tomatoes to the protein-rich eggs to the refreshing basil leaves, each component contributes to your overall well-being.
1. Cherry tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes are a powerhouse of vitamins and antioxidants. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system and promotes collagen production for glowing skin. These little red gems also contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may protect against certain types of cancer and cardiovascular disease.
2. Parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
Grated Parmesan cheese (or a vegetarian alternative) not only gives the quiche a delicious taste, but also provides important nutrients. Parmesan is a good source of protein and calcium, which contributes to bone health. It also contains vitamin B12, which is crucial for maintaining a healthy nervous system. In addition, Parmesan cheese is naturally low in lactose, making this dish also suitable for people with lactose intolerance.
Eggs are an excellent source of high-quality protein and contain all the essential amino acids our bodies need. Protein is essential for tissue repair and growth, as well as hormone and enzyme production. Eggs are also rich in vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin B12. In addition, eggs provide various minerals such as selenium and choline, which support brain function and metabolism.
4. Basil leaves
Basil leaves not only give the quiche a fresh taste, but also have numerous health benefits. Basil is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and contains important vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin K, which helps blood clot and maintain healthy bones. Basil also provides iron, calcium and magnesium, all of which play an important role in maintaining overall well-being.
Combine these wholesome ingredients with the creaminess of double cream, the heartiness of pure flour, and the rich flavor of cold butter and you have a delicious quiche that will nourish your body and satisfy your taste buds. Remember to enjoy this hearty dish in moderation as part of a balanced diet for optimal health benefits.