This hearty vegetarian main dish or quick family meal is both healthy and delicious. Made with fresh butternut squash, it brings an explosion of fall flavors to your plate. The light and airy gnocchi pair perfectly with a creamy Parmesan-based sauce and add a rich touch to every forkful. This dish is a real crowd pleaser and will satisfy both vegetarians and meat lovers. With its bright colors and soothing aromas, it’s a great option for a cozy evening at home or for impressing guests with a simple yet elegant dinner. Try this pumpkin gnocchi recipe and experience heavenly flavor in every bite!
- 2 butternut squash, halved, seeded and cut into wedges
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Sprig of thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- up to 4 tablespoons flour
- 140g Parmesan, grated
- 100g butter
- a handful of sage leaves
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
Or why not try…
Make a simple soup by cooking peeled pumpkin pieces in broth with curry paste and coconut milk, then pureeing until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- Place the squash in a roasting tray.
- Mix and season with garlic, thyme and olive oil.
- Cover the dish with foil and roast for 40 minutes until tender.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, remove the pulp.
- Using a spatula, press the pulp through a fine sieve.
- Place the squash in a clean pan and then cook gently for 30-40 minutes until thick.
- Let cool down.
- Place the puree in a bowl.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the egg, flour and 100 g Parmesan.
- The result should be a soft, supple dough.
- If it is too wet, add more flour until the right consistency is reached.
- Take a third of the dough and roll it out into a long strip on a floured work surface.
- The strip should be the thickness of your thumb.
- Cut the strip into pillows about 3 cm long.
- Gently press each piece into place with the back of a fork.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the gnocchi in portions.
- Cook until they float, then let sit for another minute.
- Remove them and place them in a bowl of ice water.
- When everything is cooked, drain well.
- To serve, heat a grill to high.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet until sizzling.
- Add the chilli and sage and sizzle for a minute.
- Add the cooked gnocchi and mix through.
- Place in a heatproof bowl.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Grill under the broiler until browned.
- Serve immediately.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- rolling pin
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Parmesan cheese
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat the gnocchi in a pan with a little butter or olive oil until warmed through. Do not freeze the leftovers, otherwise the consistency may change.
The Health Benefits of Pumpkin Gnocchi
Not only is pumpkin gnocchi a delicious and comforting dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits. This article explores the health benefits associated with the ingredients used in this recipe.
Butternut squash is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is low in calories and high in fiber. It contains important vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium and manganese. The high fiber content in butternut squash can aid digestion and promote a healthy gut. In addition, its high antioxidant content may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Garlic is known for its powerful health-promoting properties. It contains compounds with antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effects. Garlic also contains antioxidants that can boost the immune system and reduce the risk of certain diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
Thyme is a versatile herb that not only adds flavor to dishes but also offers several health benefits. It contains compounds with antifungal and antibacterial properties that may help fight infections. Thyme also contains antioxidants that can help protect the body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals.
Olive oil is a staple of the Mediterranean diet and is known for its heart-healthy properties. It is rich in monounsaturated fats, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains antioxidants that can protect against inflammation and oxidative stress.
In addition to adding a warm and pleasant flavor to dishes, nutmeg also offers several health benefits. It has anti-inflammatory properties and contains compounds that may help improve digestion. Nutmeg is also a good source of several essential minerals, including manganese, copper and potassium.
Parmesan cheese, when consumed in moderation, can be part of a healthy diet. It is a rich source of protein and calcium, essential for building and maintaining strong bones. Parmesan cheese also contains phosphorus, potassium and several other vitamins and minerals.
Sage is an herb that is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. It is traditionally used for its medicinal properties, including improving digestion, relieving sore throats, and improving memory and cognitive function. Sage may also have antimicrobial properties, helping to fight certain bacteria.
Like the red chilies used in this recipe, chili peppers contain a compound called capsaicin. This compound is responsible for the hot and spicy taste of chili peppers and has been proven to have several health benefits. Capsaicin has a thermogenic effect that can boost metabolism and promote weight loss. It can also help reduce pain and inflammation in the body.
By combining these healthy ingredients, pumpkin gnocchi will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide a number of health benefits. Whether you want to boost your immune system, improve digestion, or protect against chronic disease, this dish is a delicious and nutritious choice.